NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help:George is plucking

Poppy

George came out his cage yesterday seemed normal had some food with us and went back in his cage quite normally .Gave him treats and lots of praise and all seemed ok so at 10-30pm ish i went to bed.Got up this morn and he was ok but semmed bit quiet he is eating and drinking ok but then i went to clean his cage out anf found all this feathers gathered in one place on the floor and on closer inspection found a hole in his feathers on his neck where they had come from !What do i do now ? Heres the feathers i found

100_0110-1.jpg

It appears that he is molting. Looking at the great photo you provided. It seems that the feathers have their tips that came out of the sockets, meaning they were not plucked, but molted out. None appeared to be chewed, unless you see some that I can not in the photo.

It is a shock to see feathers all of a sudden though. :S :laugh:

It is the time of year when allot of Greys start their molt but I would keep an eye on George anyway don't make a fuss though if he is you don't want to make a scene or he may not want to stop just like any unwanted behavour ignore the bad and praise the good. Like Dan said it could be just a molt

Marie, that looks like Baxters pile of feathers about a month ago:ohmy: I totally freaked out. I had seen a feather here or there occassionally but all the sudden there was a pile and I thought the same thing. Baxter is plucking:ohmy: I asked everyone here too and they all told me "He's molting:P " Whew I was so relieved thats all it was!!! Scared the tar out of me though:laugh: Now Baxter likes head scratches more than ever. I guess a good head & neck rub make him feel better now that the new feathers are coming in. I wouldn't worry too much.;)

Thanks Erika

I did panic big time !

It seemed it was a one off not had feathers like that since only the downie ones ive gotten used to !

It seemed so many all at once and in a pile in one place.I got told the same as you lol hes moulting and he is ! Thankfully i got help and advice from all you wonderful people on here :)