NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feeding my new Grey is I'm away

JRenegar

I am getting my first Grey in a few weeks. I very rarely travel, but occasionally I'm away for a day or two. Is it okay to leave him with just water and pellets for a couple of days? Also do you leave pellets in his cage all the time so he can snack or is it better to feed them on a regular schedule and remove what isn't eaten. I know I have to do that with the fruits and veggies, but I leave pellets all the time for my Green Cheek Conure.

Hello and welcome JRenegar!!

No, you can not leave any pet alone for 1 or 2 days with just food and water hoping it will last, not become contaminated by poop, food items scattered or dipped in it etc. That would be a health hazard and cruel to leave them alone with no one checking in to ensure they are ok, give them some attention and assure them all is well and they have not been abandoned.

You can leave non-perishable foods in the cage all the time such as pellets, nuts, seeds, birdy bread etc. Do not leave fruits and veggies in the cage which start growing bacteria and become rancid after a few hours.

Please have a friend or family check on your birds and any other pets each day you are gone, give fresh water and food, interact with them etc.