NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fully weaned african grey ?

Unsy

Hello everybody. I am looking to buy an african grey. I found someone who has been breeding as a hobby and has some babys which i am going to see tomorrow. When i asked him when they will be ready i was told they will be fully weaned when they are between 9 - 10 weeks old. from all the homework i have done reading books and websites this seemed a bit early to me. Can anyone advise me on this please<br><br>Post edited by: Unsy, at: 2008/11/14 10:26

On average, I think most greys seem to be weaned from apprx 12 weeks onwards. All of mine came home weaned at this age, I only had problems with one of them who I feel was maybe rushed into this!

I have heard of greys being weaned before 12 weeks. Its down to the bird really they are all different! As long as the bird is eating a varied diet which includeds fruits veggies etc and is maintaining their weight, this would be fine. Just make sure they are fully weaned before you purchase!

I have fed baby greys that have weaned at 9-10 weeks...it's not that unheard of. Some take longer, Elmo didn't wean till he was 18 weeks, but others really like solid food and drop the formula as soon as they can. Just be sure to watch them eat and check the weight often.