NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Members Photography Thread Part 1

Oh, darn..I was hoping you could just copy and paste it with your photo. On my website, it lists it like this...

11har1.jpg

EXIF Type EXIF Data

Compression JPEG compression

Make Panasonic

Model DMC-FZ50

Orientation top, left side

X Resolution 72 dots per inch

Y Resolution 72 dots per inch

Resolution Unit Inch

Software Ver.1.0

Date/Time 2007:05:06 14:35:02

Thumbnail Offset 7619 bytes

Thumbnail Length 8241 bytes

YCbCr Positioning Datum point

Exposure Time 1/60 sec

F-Number F4.5

Exposure Program Manual control

ISO Speed Ratings 200

Exif Version 2.21

Date/Time Original 2007:05:06 01:24:40

Date/Time Digitized 2007:05:06 01:24:40

Components Configuration YCbCr

Compressed Bits Per Pixel 4 bits/pixel

Exposure Bias Value 0

Max Aperture Value F2.8

Metering Mode Multi-segment

Light Source Unknown

Flash No flash fired, compulsory flash mode

Focal Length 7.4 mm

FlashPix Version 1.00

Color Space sRGB

Exif Image Width 2076 pixels

Exif Image Height 2312 pixels

Sensing Method One-chip color area sensor

File Source Digital Still Camera (DSC)

Scene Type Directly photographed image

Custom Image Processing Normal

Exposure Mode Manual

White Balance Mode Auto

Digital Zoom Ratio Digital zoom not used

Focal Length in 35mm Film 35.0 mm

Scene Capture Type Standard

Gain Control Low gain up

Contrast Normal

Saturation Normal

Sharpness Normal

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow CD, thanks for all the info. I certainly have some homework to do. The photo you mention as being good isn't actually one of mine but I'll try your suggestions to see if I can improve on my camera's performance.

Talon wrote:

:huh: hmmm for mine when you right click it is the usual stuff that comes up, I have to open it in the program...

Melissa

Something about how this software handles photo files that is causing that Talon. You have to first save the file to your computer. Then you can see the data.. I have to see if there is a work around for this..

HeatherStrella wrote:

I like this photo but something's wrong...I just can't put my finger on it...help??

It is a good capture. I think if the lizard was coming toward the camera instead of slightly away it might have worked better. Also the narrow depth of field you used caused his tail to blur.

It is unusual to see a blur "before" the subject. Ideally you would want the first thing your eye sees to be in focus. This compounds the problem of him going "away" from the camera. The first thing I see his is blurry tail... I'm thinking this is perhaps what you are concerned about.. yes?

CeasarsDad wrote:

Something about how this software handles photo files that is causing that Talon. You have to first save the file to your computer. Then you can see the data.. I have to see if there is a work around for this..

oh I see now...:P

That's a really cool looking lizard!

Melissa

CD, that could very well be it...does that mean my f-stop needs to be higher?? I'm still having a bit of trouble with my KM focusing...maybe I'll use my FZ50 or FZ20 and see if I get better results. Thanks a bunch!!!

Is this what you mean by coming toward the camera? The green thing in the front kinda ruined this pic...

aaasp1.jpg

I'm going to make a special tank just for taking pictures of the geckos. They are mostly orange and black...what color do you think would be a good background? And, do you think one of those aquarium wall paper designs would be too busy? Should I have a solid color instead?? Thank you sooo much for all your help!!!

TIME OUT.. .I have to say something here.. First off THANK YOU.. EVERYONE.. you have made me and my friends from that "other" forum feel VERY WELCOMED.. This thread has been accepted by everyone and that means lot to me.

I have to clear the air here for a second and then I am gonna move on and never reference that "other" forum again for as long as I am here.. It's not fair to all you guys that have no idea what I am taking about for me to constantly reference "the other" forum

So here's the story..

On the other Grey forum I was getting lots of questions from members about how I was "setting" my camera for some of the photos of Ceasar that I was posting. These constant questions led me to start "The Members Photography Thread" over there.

This thread was one of the MOST POPULAR threads that site has ever seen. It grew to over 130 posts in just a couple of weeks. We had lots of folks talking about taking photos of their Greys and lots of folks posting photos there.

One day, a nasty remark was posted by one of the forum moderators to the effect that "this is not a photography forum" basically saying he didn't want any more photos posted.

Needless to say I got my Italian temper at a fever pitch and pulled all my photos. Next thing I knew I was banned.. That ban was later lifted when all my friends on the forum get pissed and started to post messages to the forum owner.

The bottom line was I didn't feel the same going back to that forum anymore and needed to find another home.. I FOUND YOU GUYS.. and you know what? All my friends from that other forum came here. and are still coming. So there is a "happy ever after" ending to this sad story.

What was the issue with that other site and photos? To this day I can not figure that out. I think the bottom line was that the other MALE moderator and I just didn't click.. That's too bad because if you can't get along with me you are one miserable person.

HeatherStrella wrote:

...does that mean my f-stop needs to be higher??

Is this what you mean by coming toward the camera? The green thing in the front kinda ruined this pic...

I'm going to make a special tank just for taking pictures of the geckos.

Should I have a solid color instead??

Thank you sooo much for all your help!!!

YES, this new photo is much better from a composition standpoint. To make the tail in focus in the other photo you actually needed to focus on the tail and choose an F stop like F8 or 11 to cause the rest of the lizard to then be in focus.. Understand?

I can't wait to see more of your photos.. You have a good eye for composition. The photo you made for Talon's Birthday wishes was beautiful.

Solid colors would be better for you.

No need to thank me.. In fact I need to thank you. Because of your contributions to this thread it is a success... :P<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 17:53

I told the story of a baby European Starling I saved from a cold death on a sidewalk. We raised that bird up and she became a wonderful addition to our family. I'll tell the story here too one day but before I do I want you to say hello to Hercules.. It's rare for a European Starling to be raised inside a human home.. Take a look at how peaceful this bird is.. :)

sun04.jpg

sun04.jpg

Guest briansmum

ceasars dad you pictures are amazing, i will have to invest in a better camera i think as mine does not do my new feathered friend justice! :P

xxbeccyxx wrote:

ceasars dad you pictures are amazing, i will have to invest in a better camera i think as mine does not do my new feathered friend justice! :P

Thank you for the compliment, but I want to remind you that you would be surprised just how good your current camera is. Look back on my Bon Jovi photos and remember they were taken with a point and shoot.. Why not post a photo and see if we can help you improve upon what you already have. Right Everyone...?

There has been lots of talk about flash photography lately. I wanted to touch on a few tips you can use to improve upon your flash photography. I have to do this across two posts because I have 2 photos I want you to look at.

Flash comes in two flavors. Bounced and Direct. Point and shoot cameras and camera with pop up flash restrict your ability when it comes to useing flash. Let me explain. when you have a pop up flash or built in flash you can't redirect that flash. So in effect you have DIRECT flash.. Not the best technique. You always want to use BOUNCE flash. To do this you need an external flash that goes on top of your camera and gives you the ability to "bounce" the flash off the ceiling. Here is an example of Direct flash....

D2X_0337.jpg

While most would think this looks OK. It really is very flat. Ceasar's feathers look one dimensional with no real shadows to smooth out the composition.. Also notice the nasty shadow on the right. Now of course that can be cloned out but that's not the point. Continue in next post..

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:09<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:10

D2X_0337.jpg

When you use "bounced" flash you now start to see a much better lighting of your subject. This is a photo of Ceaser with "bounce flashed" Now notice the shadows in his feathers. Notice how the overall look is much more smoother and with more dimensions.

D2X_0328.jpg

I think you will agree. Bounce flash is a much more pleasing photograph. What I would like you to try, at least those of you with DSLR's with external flash, is to take photos with bounce flash vs direct. Post your finding here. This is this weeks assignment.. Have at it.. Discover the differences for yourself. Those of you with built in flash you can't do this unless you can get an external flash.<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:15

D2X_0328.jpg

Guest briansmum

oooh wow.. i do LOVE bon jovi!! saw them in 2003, they're amazing.. i love them almost as much as my grey! he he he:P

I will be front row in Vegas Memorial day weekend.. Can you say YEAH BABY.. Now you've done it.. Now you make me want to sign off with his lyrics.. How about these..

I never knew I had a dream

Until that dream was you

When I look into your eyes

The sky's a different blue

Cross my heart

I wear no disguise

If I tried, you'd make believe

That you believed my lies

Bon Jovi

Shoot.. I gotta post that incredible chorus..

Thank you for loving me

For being my eyes

When I couldn't see

For parting my lips

When I couldn't breathe

Thank you for loving me

<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:30

Guest briansmum

"thank yoooouu, for loveing meeeee!" *sings* *swoons* you lucky thing you.

anyway back to pictures. my camera has started going all blurry and i don't know why.

Post an example with the camera model and I will have a look..

Well i'm so far away

That each step that i take is on my way home

A king's ransom in dimes i'd given each night

Just to see through this payphone

Still i run out of time

Or it's hard to get through

Till the bird on the wire flies me back to you

I'll just close my eyes and whisper,

Baby blind love is true

Bon Jovi

DAMM... I gotta post that chorus again..

I want to lay you down on a bed of roses

For tonite i sleep on a bed on nails

I want to be just as close as the holy ghost is

And lay you down on bed of roses

<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:34

Talon, you are making me blush.. Yeah I know, is that possible.. well, actually no, but it sounds good right? :P :P

Oh, one more thing.. You mean you are not gonna yell at me for giving Ceaser a twizzler to eat as I took those flash photo example shots.. You're slipping young lady.. :laugh:

:blink: :silly:<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/14 19:49