NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Members Photography Thread Part 1

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you got it.. remember. When using exposure compensation. Light = Lighter and Dark = Darker. You could also do this using manual exposure but we will discuss that another time..

I think a couple of these excellent new photos could have used another .5 more exposure to be perfect. I want you to also see how much more natural the photos are when no flash is used..

There have been a couple of us here that have said that they only have a cheap point and shoot camera. Do you think that really matters?

Ultimately you will get very high resolution shots from a DSLR, no one is debating that, but can you get decent photos from a point and shoot? Is it possible?

For those of us here that have not had the extra funds to purchase a more expensive camera I am here to tell you NO PROBLEM. Using the right techniques even a point and shoot can produce some pretty good images.

I don't have any Grey photos to demonstrate this to you but I do have the next best thing.. At least next best thing for me and my wife Anna..

BON JOVI... You know. the "live while you're alive and sleep when your dead" rocker.. Check out these photos.. We were in the front row stage right of the man himself.. I shot these photos with my Canon ELPH point and shoot with my finger blocking the flash because flash wasn't allowed from the front 3 rows.. Enjoy.

jbj06.jpg

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/12 22:31<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/12 22:31

jbj06.jpg

jbj07.jpg

Remember everyone.. It's not the quality of the Camera that matters.. Right.. It's you, the photographer that make the difference. This series of posts were intended toward all those that have read this thread and thought "I can't take pictures" Guess what.. YOU CAN.. now go get your camera and join in our discussion here.. GO GET IT...<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/12 22:52

Hi again CeasarsDad,

I still find it hard to believe that I can get pics of the same quality as your Bon Jovi shots with my cheap camera. Would you please have a look at my profile pics and give me your opinion as to what I'm doing wrong? I have a fixed 28mm focal length and seem to always need the flash. In order to center the composition on Zoe, and reduce background, I tend to get about 2 feet from her when shooting. This results in blurry images. When I stand 5 feet from her, the picture quality is much improved but she accounts for only a small fraction of the field of view. My solution, crop her out of the composition with Photoshop which leads to reduced sharpness.

Any thoughts?

It's a Kodak Easyshare CX7300.When I get some money together I'm thinking of getting either the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8MP or a Nikon D40 6.1MP. I'm not sure which way I'll go as yet but after looking at some of the pics in this string, what can I say, I've been inspired to get one or the other!

Both of those cameras are fine machines. You can see from Talon's photos the Rebel XT does a great job.. My daughter has the D40. Also a great low cost machine that does a remarkable job for it's price.

Now, your photos..

First of all how cute is ZOE everyone.. What a beauty. :kiss:

I see this in your photos. Only 1 came out OK..that would be DSCF1507.JPG. Actually not bad image quality. This proves to me that your camera is capable of making pretty good photos.. Now, the question is why can't you get it to do that..

The biggest problem you have is your focus point. In looking at the specs of your camera it says that min focus distance is 2.6 feet. A few of these photos look like you are inside that limit. Therefore the camera would not be able to focus. This is clearly the problem in many of your shots.

The flash range is also about 3 feet for the closest. Inside or near that and you can expect overexposure.

The manual says you have 3X digital zoom. You need to find that feature. Step back, zoom slightly and take the shot.

You have the capability of doing +- 2 on exposure compensation. This is great and can over come many problems with back light and dark backgrounds. See my message to the lovely Talon for more info.

The camera is limited in it's aperture. It can only open up to 4.5f This doesn't allow very good low light photography without flash. Outside this is not a problem

Read this carefully

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/publications/urg00205toc.jhtml?pq-path=1952

If you are within the 2.6 closest distance then you need to pay attention to what you are focusing on. Put the center of the viewfinder on ZOEs face and press the shutter down lightly to activate the AF system. recompose your shot without removing your finger from the shutter and take the picture. This will ensure that your focus stays locked on what you want in focus.

Your camera CAN take pictures like my bon Jovi photos. The camera I used for those was a 4 megapixel and I have 2 foot by 3 foot blow ups of some of those photos hanging in my living room.. They look like they were purchased from a music store..

Sure,

In the future I'll post the EXIF info with the photos.. How's that? If you have a specific image you want info on give me the file name and I'll get the EXIF

To help those that don't know what EXIF is please go to www.opanda.com and download the Basic FREE version of this software. When installed, it allows you to right click on any photo and choose EXIF from the right click menu. This will then show you all the setting the photographer used to get the photo..

I was wondering why the EXIF info had been stripped from the images I posted. I found the reason and you might want to make a note of this. If you use Photoshop CS2 with Imageready and "save for web" with imageready, the EXIF info is stripped out of the file. From now on I will not use this save method so full EXIF will be visible.

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:15

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:34

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:51<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:52

OK, for those of you that downloaded opanda's software referenced in the above post you will now be able to right click on this image and see all the camera details.

Let me know if you have any problems..

D2X_0190.jpg

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:46<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/13 02:50

D2X_0190.jpg