NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

MY BABY GREY IS HEAD SCRATCHING...ANY ADVICE PLEAS

salsmum

Hi,

I have a lovely 6 month old CAG who seems to be scratching her head alot lately and I think she's goin to make it quite sore/bald :( could it be mites? I've tried spraying her with warm water to ease the problem but don't really know what to do :dry: can anyone help please? before it gets bad habit.

thanx

Her skin may be dry, do you give her regular baths at least 2 times a week? My Josey scratches her head some too but if she is molting or her skin is dry she will do it more.

Since it is getting into wintertime here and we have the heat on the air will be drier and maybe a humidifier will help but bathing more often and using aloe vera juice will help with that.

judygram,

many thanx for your advice, I did try warm water misting but she was'nt too impressed:angry: I will try Aloe Vera juice and see where I can get some.

I spoke to a parrot keeper the other day and he recommended sea waterB) for any birds who pluck badly has anyone else heard of this cure??

judygram,

Thanx I'll try cooler water i was just a little worried that it would be too cold being that shes still young and the weather is wintery;)

Apparently the salt in the sea water is what makes the pluckers stop!! Thankfully I don't have that prob and hopefully never will :huh: ;).....hopefully! lol x

Most of the time when the bird is approx that age, the quills coming out of the head are somewhat soft and crack easily causing irritation which then causes scratching. If you're petting the bird on the head, go with the direction of the feathers. Cold water is probably better. It provides a certain amount of temporary relief from the itchiness.

Thanx Dave i'll get straight to that. It does feel a little rough on neck and I was a little concerned because the previous owner [3 days] allowed her dog to get Rosie and I thought it could be scabs from teeth marks but have checked and not the case [happily] x

Hiya KKK,

ROSIE STILL SCRATCHES ALOT ESPECIALLY ON THE HEAD BUT WILL LOWEER HER HEAD FOR A GOOD SCRATCH FROM ME :laugh: SHE ISN'T TOO KEEN ON A LIGHT MISTING BUT I'LL PERSEVERE.

SHE IS MAKING US LAUGH NOW WITH HER BAD IMPRESSION OF A CATS MEOW [i HAVE A V. NON MEOW CAT ;)] SHES OUTTA THE CAGE 24/7 NOW AND WHEN SHE DECIDES IT'S TIME TO GO BACK IN SHE CLOSES THE DOOR BEHIND HER!!. I WAS STILL TRYING TO GET HER BACK INTO THE CAGE @ 1AM THIS MORNING:evil: JUST LIKE A NAUGHTY TODDLER SHE DID'NT WANNA GO 'TO BED' HAD TO LAUGH WHEN SHE KEPT YAWNING AT ABOUT 4PM TODAY.:)