NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

George biting

gourdlady247

Ok

I've been sitting in front of Georges cage reading and talking to him trying to get him, I guess used to the me and things around here. So I'm sitting next to the cage always with the cage open so if he decides to come out he can. I'm reading and playing with toys. He starts coming around the cage. Which he will follow me anywhere I go around his cage. Almost like daring me to touch it. Cause at times he lunges at me. But when he came around to the front door of his cage. He reaches out and bit me on the shoulder.

Am I maybe doing things wrong. or maybe pushing it to fast. I realize we have only had him for almost a month. But sometimes I feel like we're going backwards. But I refuse for us not to be best friends with George. I know he will realize that I'm the best thing since sliced Bread. LOL. I don't want to push, but I'm not sure what I should be working on first. I'm so Confused.

Hi,

I am having the same problem with Ice. Mind you Ice has only been with us for 6 days. But he will lunge at all the time. The weird this is that he does want to be with me but I can't have him out alot because I would have no fingers left! He come out and sits on his playstand for a few hours a day.

I am also having difficulty because he always wants to be on my shoulder and if I try and get him down he bites!! What can we do to reduce the biting situation.?

Nims

Ice - CAG

Indy - CAG

Maybe it is cage territorial behavior? I've experienced this with amazons. The cage is their turf and safety zone and they will clear the area of all humans or other invaders the hard way.:)

We usually use a stick perch to take these birds away from the cage in order to work with them on neutral ground, but I know George probably isn't up to that just yet.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all! It may just take more time.

I'd suggest watching his body language to familiarize yourself with his "bite you" posture. Then you can back up a little and continue talking or reading. I only got a couple of days worth of bites from Gryphon before he taught me! :lol:

I think you are doing great. The rewards will be many.

Nims I had sore fingers for a while myself. Gryphon is my first grey and though I have experience with other parrots, it was a new bird language to learn.

I know people here can advise on the shoulder thing. Some birds just aren't good "shoulder birds."

Good luck!

Oh George doesn't get on my shoulder. He hung onto the sife of the inside of the cafe and reached out to bite me.

Just a little background on george.

He's 7-10 years old, He came from a lady that had around 50 birds. She got george as a companion for another grey. She was never ablr to touch him nor the other grey we have reacently learned. Apparently all her birds bite. We can't touch him. He is pulling feathers from under his left wing. I've been spraying him with Aleo vera jusice and I think it works a little. But I think If I could just get him out of his cage and be able to work with him maybe that will help. But we havent gotten to that point. But we're working on it.

Well, if though you gave some history about George in another area, I'll repeat a very basic thing concerning George and behavior.

George was in an atmosphere that contained almost 50 birds. It's impossible to give 50 birds personalized attention or training. The birds congregate together and act like birds with each other which including all different degrees of biting, nipping. pecking and lunging at each other. The owner makes no effort to stop what seems like natural bird behavior. This behavior goes on daily.

Now the time comes when George is taken away from that atmosphere and put into a calm more loving environment. That doesn't mean that George will simply change. He has an aggression that has to do with other birds. It takes a long time for a bird like George to calm down and gradually relax. Much longer tha a very young bird who's just starting out on that wrong path.

Something I never asked before--is George in the same cage that he was in before you got him?

If so, get rid of that cage as soon as possible. He knows that cage TOO well and it's become his home base. He knows every inch of that cage.

You can purchase relatively inexpensive but well made cages on EBAY and if necessary, we can give you the proper sized cage to get. You, hubby and George will be starting out on an even level playing field.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/11/08 00:32

He has a new cage we went and bought him a cage two days after he came to live with us. It's huge. It's

30 x 36 x 66high. So that was done right off,cause he came in the cage he was kept in. which was i think

18x18x36. So should we be tring to just sitting in front of the cage talking to him? or should we be trying to work on stepping up on the stick.

Thanks, we really appericate all the advice from everyone.

Marla