NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need ideas for playstands

zooman

Hi all, I met a really nice elderly lady in my building today that has a grey and cant afford a really nice playstand and doesnt have the means to make one, so i offered her mine the one i built. I only have a small portable one after i give her mine so i have been wanting to make a new one anyway and it felt right to give her mine and gave me an excuse. This being said im kinda stubbling on what i want for my next one.

If anyone can do me a favour and post pics of theirs to give me some insight on what works for you and what your birds enjoy. Thank-you

Talon,

A guy who lives near me made that one, but my husband has just made another two which are the same design but different sizes.

They can all fit on there quite easily if they want to hang around together and I try to rotate toys every so often to make it more interesting.

happlication013.jpg

application028.jpg

Heres mine I made everything you see all by myself :) the swings at the top are made of embroidery rings that I wrapped with rope and a stainless stell flex line I shaped and wrapped with rope. The main stand I went to HOME DEPOT and bought the pre cut table top and precut legs, made the table covered with sticky squares of linolium. The branches were from my back yard they are Crepe Myrtle ( SAFE WOOD!! ) I screwed the wood on then attched L brackets for strength. Whole things cost me mabey $ 30 and was so much fun to make. I was so proud of myself :))

Thanks everyone so far and that is some amazing ideas already i do love both of your stands. I just have to keep it smaller since i need to make 2 of them now because my boys dont like to be too close and my stand was huge and had enough space for them to stand each other. Casper your stand seems the right size what is the bottom like size wise?

And to answer your question his name is heinz shes a german lady..lol and heinz im pretty sure he was around 10.

Way to go Zooman! BRAVO! :)

Those are awesome play stands, I'm considering building another one to - the two I have now (Indi and Woody each have their own) are 'prebuilt' and don't seem very fun....:unsure:

I'm going to a toy / perch making party in Dec. with my bird club and I'm so stoked to see what we can make!

yeah i figured that i bought one of those boings lie yours kinda and put it above this stand and he spent most of his time at the top biting the ceiling so i had to take it down. Guess the natural height thing birds feel comfortable with took over.

ZOOMAN:

You can buy extensions made out of plastic that hang from the ceiling that birds are unable to climb to hang toys from so they can't reach the ceiling to chew. I can send you a link to a place that sells them if you want to see it. They come in a couple different lengths.

I just finished building a playstand for Tobie. It is quite tall- about six feet but I've thought about lowering it by cutting off about 8 inches from the legs and the tree stand in the center. The only other thing I would change is to use larger than 3/4 inch plastic pipe because it jiggles more than I like. Tobie doesn't mind the jiggle and if I shorten it it will be more stable. IMG_2041.jpg

wow that is a really nice stand as well, great work it looks li fun for him. I built a tiny mobile one from pvc and had the same problem being shaky cause a. didnt use glue and b. made it with the same diameter tubing.

Im getting some really good ideas from you all, im stuck on if i want to use pvc or wood? I have to make is eye appeasing as i have to make 2 of them and still be not something that stands like bamm in the room as much as possible. The boys do enough of that themselves with the mess..lol

I haven't made George a play stand yet. But i have made a couple of T- Perchs, out of pvc pipe. It is very wobbly, not good I think for a still skitish bird. But I used Vet Wrap and the grass rope on it.Vet Wraps a little cheaper than the grass rope. So to not to use as much rope on one thing i used both

I used metal pipe on Tobies T-stands and a pvc threaded T-joint at the top that I stuck a wooden dowel through and secured it by driving (whatever those thin wood wedges are that I found in the shed) bits of wood in with a hammer. Needed no glue up there. I don't think I could have done better with those though there are some things I don't like about my playstand as I mentioned. The one in the dining room has a food dish I attatched. IMG_2052.jpg