NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Blood feather.

casper

My eldest grey Charlie had a bad landing today and broke a blood feather ( where his flights were growing.)

I have read about this before but never had this happen with one of my greys.

I would never have believed there could be so much blood it was squirting to start off with.

I got some corn flour and managed to stem the bleeding then rang the vet who advised me to take Charlie in for him to see.

I took him to the vets which was very traumatic as he is a nervous bird and does not like to travel.

He didnt want to handle Charlie as I am the only one who can, and at this point he didnt even want me to touch his wing. I showed him what is left which is a broken shaft, it had clotted at the end. He said he would remove the shaft but wanted to do this using an anesthetic! I said I knew how there are risks involved and opted not to do it.

What should I do? I am to observe him tonight and if there are any more problems to take him back tomorrow.

Will the bleeding start up again if he catches it tonight? Will he be okay overnight? Charlie wont even step up for me at the moment, I think its all been a bit much today.

Thanks everyone.

Caroline.

Poor Charlie he is really in the wars.My Charlie has had a few anasthetics and I know there are risks involved but he has been fine. It is a case of the risk verses the outcome. Would he be in less pain with the feather removed? I would let him settle down tonight and review in the morning.Personally I would have the feather removed. An anasthetic would also offer the oportunity for a full exam and any blood work or micro chipping if needed.I feel so sad for Charlie he does not seem to have much luck, dam earthquake.Let me know if you want a chat. Sheila

I'm not going to argue with your vet but I can tell you that I've taken out broken flight feathers many many times. It happens to my birds periodically. The feather needs to be gripped at the very base where the feather goes into the skin. The area is held firmly and a quick pull and the feather is out. There is a bit of blood which stops when different powders are used. I"m not saying that you should try this but I'm just saying that it's very unusual that a vet would want to use any anesthetic at all. The process takes about 15 seconds after the feather is grabbed.

Will it bleed again? More than likely, yes if Charlie catches it tonight. One way or another, the feather has to be removed.

What would happen if it wasn't removed Dave? The vet said it would be okay to leave it if it didnt bleed anymore. What is the worse thing that could happen?

Thanks Sheila, I am going to have to think about everything tonight. I feel so sorry for Charlie he dosent have much luck. I will do what is best for him.

Caroline.

casper wrote:

What is the worse thing that could happen?

Well I guess you already know that Caroline, but I agree with Dave, that feather has to come out or it will start bleeding again. You do what you have to Caroline to get it removed but why the vet didn't go ahead and do it without anesthesia is beyond me.

The feather will stay angled out from the rest of the wing. The feather is now cracked and because it's sticking out , if it gets caught on something the feather can crack in another place on the shaft. Blood will always stay in a wing feather and can drip out with slight disturbances. That's why they call them blood feathers.

Look, relieve your mind and have it done. The anesthetic that's used will raise the prce of the visit. A broken blood feather is a minor injury which can be taken care of very easily. Just don't let the vet talk you into getting a million other tests just because you're there. If you had to go to the MD because of a serious cut and you were given anestheic because stitches have to be used, would you also get yourself checked out for cancer, liver disease, ear infections, gall bladder problems?

I agree with Dave that feather must be pulled I to have pulled many broken blood featers its not difficult Towel your bird get someone to hold him cover his face so he doesn't see whos doing what get a pair of needle nose pliers grab the feather at its bass and give a quick firm pull straight out clot it with some flour or cornstarch till the bleeding stops and your done it won't take long once you take the towel off give the towel heck for hurting your bird make the towel the enemy. If your to afraid todo it yourself get the vet to towel the bird and coverhis face then you hold the bird for him while he pulls the feather anistetic is not nessesary at all

Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/11/05 22:29<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/11/05 23:06

Hello,

The blood feather needs to come out! I don't want to start any arguments, but I'm wondering about the quality of your vet. Is he an avian vet? I would start looking for a new avian vet.

This does bring a question to mind. We never had a blood feather with Poco, our Eclectus. I'm disabled, and could not help Dotty hold Spencer down to remove a blood feather. How can one person remove a blood feather on a bird the size of a Grey?

Ralph<br><br>Post edited by: oppie, at: 2008/11/06 08:08

I have just got back from the vets with Charlie. They wouldnt do anything without anasthetic because they said it is painful for the bird.

Anyway, I am just pleased that Charlie is back home and apart from being a bit quiet seems fine.

Out of curiousity, I rang around three Avian vets this morning to ask their procedures. They all said they would have to use an anasthetic.

Just thought I would update you all and let you know what had happened.Thankyou to all of you for your posts.

Caroline.<br><br>Post edited by: casper, at: 2008/11/06 15:09

• 3 weeks later...

Well, as some of you know, I've had a deal of experience w/ broken blood feathers. I agree with everyone's responses; in many cases a broken blood feather is easily dealt with by simply pulling it out. There are cases where, if the break is at the base of the shaft where it grows out of the wing and bleeding, anesthesia may be necessary to remove it. This happened to my grey but applying pressure to the affected area, as suggested by the vet, stopped the bleeding. Thankfully anesthesia wasn't necessary.

The handling of broken feathers seems to be a controversial issue. Some say don't pull, others say pull in every case. Undoubtedly, a broken blood feather is potentially deadly to a bird so, depending on your comfort level, take the appropriate steps to ensure your bird's safety.

Hopefully, Charlie is well today.

Karen

Ralph,

You may have to towel your bird if it is larger. I purchased a first aid kit for Schroeder and had the vet show me what everything was for and how best to use it. I know it was probably overkill, as there are instructions, but knowing I am doing things properly if there is an emergency and I can't get Schroeder to the vet (middle of night, holiday, we are at the cabin for the weekend and the roads home are blocked) will help me remain calm and confident.