NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

testing boundries

cflanny

OK I am having little arguments with ZZero there are times when he just plain refuses to step up. I have let him on my shoulder and am kinda starting to regret this decision cause if I want him off I have to shoo him and make him fly to his cage. He will flip upside down to avoid stepping up. He also does this ofotn from his playstand and top of the fridge ( favorite spot).

How do I reinforce when I expect him to step up to do it with out argument?? ( he knows the command )I know he has a mind of his own but somtimes its a little rediculous Thanks in advance :))

When he does step up, you could give him a treat and say good bird and give him lots of praise.

This way instead of using a negative reinforcement, you will be using a positive one. Parrots respond much better to positive reinforcement.

Your bird is one of those that are talked about frequently. The type of bird that gets on a shoulder and as soon as it gets older and more comfortable, he starts to avoid you when it comes time to take him off. As he gets better at avoiding you, he'll go from shoulder to shoulder when you put put your hand there. You can't see the back of your shoulder but he can and he can also scoot around to avoid you. Eventually he'll bite you if he feels that he doesn't wanna come off even though you do. Stop letting him hang out on the shoulder because when or if he decides to bite you, it'll be in an area that you can't protect. Many people have no problems with birds on the shoulder but many others do and there's no way to stop a bird from scooting around you to avoid you. Pretty soon, the shooing away won't work cause he'll fly away on his own and come right back.

Misty is a bit like the bird that Dave describes. There are times when he simply doesn't want to get off my shoulder. If I put my hand up for him to step up he will crouch down or avoid my hand. However he never bites in this situation. The way I get him off is by going to one of his high perches and lean toward it. He then seems to get the message and dismounts to the stand or my hand quite happily.

:)

I am not sure that bribing him is always a good idea. I don't want to turn him into a blackmailer ! I use praise to let him know I am happy with him. When I am unhappy with him I move him away from me and ignore him. Luckily he seems to prefer to keep me happy most of the time.

:cheer:

I am not sure I want him to give in to me all the time. I like him to have his own mind. That said he always comes to me if he feels the need for security or protection from sudden noises or strangers he is unsure about.

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/11/05 21:42

I am one of those who does allow my grey on my shoulder but she has always came down when I asked her too and as long as she continues to do that she will be allowed to shoulder sit. Now if I had to bribe her or fool with her a lot to get her down then she would not be allowed that privilege in the first place.

If zzero is being naughty when on your shoulder, I say no shoulder.It is asking for a bite if you have a battle to remove him, and a face is not a place you want bitten.Practice step up in another room that he is not as sure of and away from his cage. Give lots of praise when he steps up and ignore any bad behaviour. It sounds like he is testing you out. This often happens once the honeymoon period is over. Sheila

Thank you evryone for the responses. I started with the shoulder when I was working with him and the dogs cause I knew he would stay put and the dogs would not even try to get at him . I will reinforce the good and try to ignore the bad. It seems the dogs and him are friends now so I dont really have a need of my own to have him on the shoulder so I am gonna try and Nix it

Thank you thank you Cindy

I hope you can get the problem sorted Cindy.

I dont allow two of my greys on my shoulder as I had the same problem. I was worried I would get a nip as I couldnt see what they were doing. The middle grey will step up on command any time so I dont have a problem with him, I have yet to receive a bite from him as well!

I would stop the shoulder until he fully recognises to step up each and every time.

Good luck.

When I allow Ace on my shoulder, he also likes to *try* and argue with me when its time to get him off. I'll try slowly the first time, by just putting my hand up to him and saying step up, and he will always use his pissed off squawk and beak me (he never bites, he just usues his beak to push my finger away)as he backs up onto my back. So, I will bring my hand back, let him reposition himself onto my shoulder again, then I will bring my hand back up to have him step up, but the second time I say step up, I am much quicker with my hand, and I dont stop my hand at his feet, I just press into him quickly and firmly forcing him up. He squaks at me like What the hell Mom, but it always works. Then I give him praise and lost of love and tell him good boy. I usually always make sure I hold him for a little bit, giving him affection and talk to him before putting him back on his cage, so he doesnt connect getting off my shoulder with being put on his cage and away from me.:)

I really hate to read this. Tobie is stubborn about coming off my shoulder too, but this is such a conveinient way for him to be with me around the house. Also he rides on my shoulder(with a flight suit) out side on our walks. I think before I refuse to let him on my shoulder I will start seriously training him to come off to my hand instead of just putting up with his stubborness or waiting until he bites me. Hope it works