NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

i'm new and love this site

lolamay

hi people. i'm lola. i have looked at this site many many times and have NOW BECOME PART OF IT.BOY IT FEELS GOOD.

i have a african grey called larry he is just over a year old and very demanding. our fault really as we have all spoilt him rotten.i guess we have tried to replace our old boy charlie who now lives in birdie heaven. i do have a little concern though this morning i found a big feather at the bottom of the cage and at the end it has blood. there is no bald patches on larry and i have found the odd feather b4 but nothing that looks like this. is it normal or could he be a plucker.

Hi Lolamay. Welcome to the forum. I hope you love it hear. Yes greys are demanding as you know, but we love them for it. I would not worry too much about the feather.as long as the bird is not bleading.Finding the odd feather in the cage is normal.Larry sounds like a great bird. Please let us all know more about him we love photos too. more the better Sheila

Hello and welcome to the forum! Yes, it is a great place to be:) Sheila has given you some good advice. This might have been just an isolated incident. Perhaps that particular feather was bothering him so he pulled it out. I wouldn't suspect plucking right away.  Hope to hear more about you and Larry soon and if you have a picture we'd love to see him:)

Welcome Lola and Larry!!

It's GreYt having you here. :-)

Since your grey is a year old and you said you've only see a feather here and there, you should ready yourself for the largest molt of Larry's life. The first molt is the always the most complete.

As others stated, it was a blood feather. It may have come out due to some rough play in the cage with perhaps wings batting. The important thing, is that you do not see any further blood coming out. If so, just put some styptic, flour or corn starch in the socket where the feather came from.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and seeing some photos when you get a chance. :-)

WOW everone is so friendly and helpful. thanks all for the advice. i just hope you dont think i signed up as i had a problem. i have looked at the site many times and found it to be very intresting. i will upload photos very soon. my mum has a lovely african grey called stumpy he is disabled due to a accident when he was a baby. deformed leg but he manages well.

Welcome Lola & Larry, you said in your post "very demanding - spoiled rotten" well thats a line that probably each and every one of us could use here:evil: :laugh:

So you certainly have come to the right place to hear about and ask questions about our very demanding and spoiled rotten greys (and we all love it that way";)

Sit back and enjoy reading through the many valuable threads here and if you don't see what you are looking for just ask.

Carolyn & Mika<br><br>Post edited by: Carolyn, at: 2008/11/04 20:45

thanks ever so much carolyn. going back to my first post about the blood feather i found this morning, this evening i have noticed splatters of blood (not mass amounts) up the side of the wall where he sits with us in the evening. must 0f been from last night. i am very baffled as i didnt notice anything strange, and i cant see any damage to him. larry has been fine allday. i still cant help but worry. after losing charlie i guess i'm over protective.what with him still being a baby. they say the first molt is the big one what sort of signs shall i look out for.

kind regards from lola