NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

not coming out of box

hungheykwun

Put food in the box ? And build its trust with you feeding it.

I was probably in your situation once, im assuming your new to taming a bird, but my suggestion would be concentrating on keeping it healthy for now and build its trust with food inside its box even if you gently set little treats in there slowly im sure.

It will eventually click to the bird oh wait im getting fed by him/her and he has done it 20 times and i have never been hurt.

Next you will know it will be waiting outside the box next time you feed it.

Hope it works out.

Can you put the box inside its cage some and then open the box put food in the cage also don't forget to give him some grapes or some kind of juicy fruits so he doesn't dehydrate I'know water would be a hard thing while hes in the box but he does need liquids and since grapes are mostly water it would be a good substitute at the moment.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/11/03 21:17

The others have all given good advice. You need to take things very gently. This poor bird has been though a really traumatic experience and he has been thrust into a world that is completely unlike any that he has been taught to cope with.

Most of his experiences with humans have been simply terrifying. It is bound to take a while for him to come to terms with his new environment and you. It is also common for wild caught birds to be particularly frightened of human males because most of their human contact has been with human males from the time they were caught onwards. You must be prepared to be bitten but you must never scold or punish the bird in any way.

In time he may well come to accept you as friend but it will take a lot of patience and calm understanding on your part.

I wish you both well and lots of luck.

I hope any prospective new parrot keepers reading this will understand that buying wild caught parrots is a terrible thing to do. It encourages the trade in these wonderful intelligent creatures that will so often lead to tragedy and a miserable death for many of them.

I am sorry for being so preachy but I feel very strongly about this.

:ohmy:

These videos show how greys are caught in the wild.

:angry:

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/11/03 23:11