NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pine Cone toy

Carolyn

Thought you would like to see what I was talking about with pinecones;) lol

Just remember to bake them before you offer them to the birds:P

PINECONES Pinecones make excellent toys for birds. Birds love to demolish them. itprovides good exercize for there very busy beaks and may provide a diversion for feather-pluckers.

When collecting pinecones, ensure that they are not old, damp, mouldy or are growing moss. Ideally one should collect pinecones as soon as possible after they have fallen to the ground and before they have become wet from rain or snow. This is not always possible. Pinecones are also a favorite hiding spot for little beasties such as spiders and earwigs.

It is not possible to "sterilize" pinecones but heating in an oven will kill moulds and the little critters and make themj safe for the birds to chew on. Pinecones can be heated in an oven for about 20 minutes at 225 degrees F.,then turn off the oven. The pinecones are left in the oven for approximately 2 hours to dry out. It is important not to exceed 225 degrees otherwise the pinecones will scorch and possibly catch fire.

The seeds inside the cones are a special treat and are safe for the birds to eat.

Carolyn & Mika

The top of the toy is a coconut shell, I purchased it in a pet store, sometimes they are in the bird department sometimes in the hermit crab houses?? not sure why. They are very hard and he chews it but cant break it, but it is funny when he beaks it and it comes back to hit him in the head, (oh my the language then, and he can't talk yet - thank goodness)

Happy toy making

Carolyn & Mika

That is pretty ingenius. I just give mine theirs in the cage and let them have at it. They love them by the way. It looks much more interesting strung up like that though:)

I wasn't able to get in your other link with the cup cake wrappers:( Must be a glich, repost please:)

My daughter and her boyfriend went for a walk in the woods yesterday, and I sent them with a bag for picking up pine cones. They only found the mini ones, which is perfect size for the birds. I baked them in the oven, and let them dry out. My other kids kept looking at me strangely and asking me what I was cooking....was I using them for dinner.....:ohmy: :sick: :sick:

Now I'm ready to make a toy.........okay, I need string........:dry:

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again for the idea Carolyn.:) :)