NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need help in finding a Grey for me...

MisterT

Another note. The pet shop where I got Tobie has had a Congo African Grey which is 6mos. old that they haven't sold for some reason. Already talking and very sweet. Unfortunate that he is still in his small cage and has only the store employees to love him. Of course this is in Boone N.C. Guess you couldn't come get him. My heart breaks everytime I go in there. They do a great job with the birds and handle him when they can.

Just another note about Greys. I'm hearing you guys about how high strung your greys are. I just haven't experienced it yet with Tobie. He gets nervous with new experiences, but if I persist he starts to relax and eventually seems to enjoy what we do. He can get nervous also with old experiences initially and then calms down. I think they are like children. If they never experience new things then they will be terrified of anything new. Tobie is only 1 and a half years old. I guess we still have the terrible twos to look forward to. IMG_2038.JPG<br><br>Post edited by: Janfromboone, at: 2008/11/04 20:28

IMG_2038.JPG

JanfromBone makes a really good point and I will admit somehow I did misunderstand or read more into it than what Mr T was wanting out of a pet grey. I think I explained it in my last post, I first thought he was wanting to do to much action type stuff and then re reading it it didn't sound like it did the first time around. My apologies to Mr T. if I misunderstood. :( I think it was because you said it "Has To" do certain things with you.

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/11/04 20:41<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/11/04 21:30

I agree 100% that getting a baby Grey would be the easiest, and most affective way to get a Grey to enjoy these activities but it is up to a higher power and if the Allmighty wants me to work with a rescue Grey then thats what I will do. I have TONS of patience.

Has anyone ever noticed that the behavour of greys sounds alot like a ravens nature, Ravens are known as the great tricksters and the documentaries I have seen blew me away when I saw how exremely fast they learn. Sorry I don`t recall the name only that it was on TV, I think it was The discovery Channel, Almost 100% sure. I think it was one of the Daily Planet episodes.

I don`t know if I can buy a grey and bring it over the border from the states it did cross my mind.

I work with ravens (and crows) and you are right, they are definitely tricksters. Compared to greys I'd say there's a similarity in intelligence, but corvids are way more assertive and confident in general.

I've met confident greys, but never a shy or cautious corvid!:)

I have been sitting here reading the thread over the past few days and now I am going to throw my two cents in - Mr T you have told us all what your expectations are or at the very least what you would like from the Grey when and if you get one. You have now, later in your posts say that if it is to be it will be, and if your expections of this grey does not work out it will be fine with you.

I believe you have and are doing your home work with regards to Greys, you are reading all the books, you are searching the web, and you are becoming a sponge with all the information that is out there, and I commend you for this. But in some ways I do not think you are listening to some of the information that you are being offered here. People here are passionate about there birds and there birds welfare, many of these people have many years invested in there birds, and are still learning every day talking to other people.

I started with a baby grey just 11 weeks old when he came to me, I was not a bird person as I had never owned one before. It took me a year of research with books and questions before my decision was made - I also had to do a lot of sole searching to make the decision with regards to a rescue, re-home or baby. I first had to look at my home and my expectations of this bird and my experience, which was nil.

Mika is the love of my life and is a well adjusted 7 month old.

It took me 4 weeks before I was able to get him into his aviator harness, 2 more weeks of walking around the house and the garden before I even considered taking him out on the street and into the neighborhood. He was very nervous of the noises, the interaction of strangers and kids wanting to see him, he is better now but there is never a time when the unexpected happens and he is again upset with this. He loves his car rides but again that has taken months to get him comfortable with this.

The small strides we have made has taken 4 months, because I never push to far. With what you are expecting or would like to see would take years if ever, and in this time you may become frustrated and the bird will not have the life he deserves - again you have told us your expections, have you looked at what the birds expectations of you are?

Saying this and watching Mika, and listening to you I can say that I do not feel that a Grey should be your bird of choice with what you would like to see in the future. There are many other choices out there that may fit your lifestyle better. I do not think that a grey should be your bird of choice.

I believe you will make a great owner and the lucky bird to get you will be loved and lead a great life, but I just do not think it should be a grey.

Just my thoughts,

Carolyn & Mika:)

It's like going into a hornet's nest...Everybody here only has one thing on their minds...The welfare of birds. The passion, enthusiasm, and love for our babies on here show everyday in the posts, and when you come into a forum with questions as you did, blood gets boiling and things get heated. You seem to be a caring person toward animals, and I think it's great that you want to share experiences with one. My grey seems pretty outgoing at times, but I've also exposed her to many things since she was 3 months. I've never owned a bird, and never was a bird person. My wife wanted a bird, and we bought Keywe on vacation. She ended up becoming my bird, and now I think of myself as a bird expert because of all of the research I've done, and still will continue learning about them. They are fascinating animals. I couldn't imagine my life without here now, but I had NO idea how much work and attention they need. They are extremely HIGH MAINTENANCE animals, so you better be ready and dedicated to whatever you decide to get, especially if it's a grey. I'm not too sure about other birds, but after reading about all of the other greys on here and their temperment, I may just have a more outgoing one, but she still does get spooked over the silliest things...The pumpkin on the counter freaked her out the other day, my wife brought a screwgun through the room by her cage and she went NUTS! They are wierd birds at times... I take her out a lot, cages in the backyard, an aviary in the back, cages in the front. She is exposed to quite a bit, but is still scared over sounds and new things. You may want to do much research with other kinds of birds as well so you wouldn't have to have the extra patience with a nervous bird. I know I jumped around a lot, but make sure you do PLENTY of homework...I wouldn't change anything, but again, I'm not trying to make her an adventurer either. Good luck

What does a Grey need from me?

Other than the obvious ( the rest of my life feeding my little buddy and cleaning the cage) I will go out on a small branch and say HOURS of my time EVERY DAY, my stubborn PATIENCE that does not run out, and the love it takes to stay committed to the days months and years it is going to take to train my little buddy to have a great personality around people and to feel confident around me even when I move quick , I can never emotionally abuse my grey or it will be known every where I go... SHUT UP, SHUT UP, SHUT UP ,SHUT UP, ARE YOU DUMB, ARE YOU DUMB , ARE YOU DUMB, SHUT UP, SHUT UP, you see were I’m going with this.

I never lose my temper or abuse people or animals because I’m feeling the weight of reality... I agree the purchase of a Grey should not be taken lightly, it is a life long commitment and they need hours of your time every day or they will go INSANE.

I’ve been to you tube and seen the reality of some of the life styles that this highly emotional intelligent birds are forced to live and it just sucks real bad that some people are so fu$@&!%$ dumb and ignorant. In my opinion these birds should first be called highly emotional then some what intelligent.

After all what’s more important in life what you know or what you feel?

I was not trying to insult anyone with the CAP LOCKS

Or say that you didn’t already know what I said and if some stupid half wit is worked up and looking for a fight, I’m sorry you’re that dumb. Slow down and listen to the other inside voice.

I`m just kidding around B)

Stay lose and peace out :silly:

In my opinion these birds should first be called highly emotional then some what intelligent.

Mr.T : This is most definitely the most ACCURATE statement I have heard you say. B)

I think every one here would agree with me on that! :)

Keep doing what you are doing...researching, asking questions like you are, and STOP watching You-Tube and calling it research. Most of those videos do not depict the actual lives of a grey. Only edited versions of what people want to you to see.

The real research is in FACTS and EXPERIENCE from people that own and raise them. You will find an encyclopedia and wealth of information here from our members.<br><br>Post edited by: Talon, at: 2008/11/08 16:29

Talon, that's a good point about the youtube vision of parrot ownership. I love those videos, but if I didn't work with birds, I'd definitely have a skewed perspective on life with a parrot. We should start a youtube revolution and take videos of morning poop and food stuck to walls and floors and phobias ("no NO not THAT toy!") and cage rage. :laugh:

What else? Oh yeah, my monthly bank statement and largely absent social life. And how much extra cooking I do. :)

I wouldn't trade a second, but it is hard to explain in words just how much goes into really caring for these guys.

B) I would suggest that everyone considering getting a Grey or any other parrot to visit youtube and type in whatever comes into you mind when it comes to parrots, I spent hours so far and have not seen all the videos, I’m not saying it’s all reality and that some is not edited. But before discouraging people, I would encourage people to spend at least 2 or 3 hours searching youtube so they can see how some of these birds really react and learn and behave when ordinary and the unordinary take them on as pets and not one of the family...

I will post some of the reality youtube links on a separate post later but please don’t let that discourage you from going on line yourself there is alot of good stuff mixed in with the poo.

I disagree with Talon saying youtube is not research, I was able to observe from youtube how Greys socialize with humans and how they really react to different emotional responses. Some people are very open and honest with their videos…:evil:<br><br>Post edited by: MisterT, at: 2008/11/08 21:38

I have to agree with Talon on this one. I have watched the youtube videos and love watching them and it's easy to spend hours watching them. But what you are seeing in alot of them are birds that have been worked with for years and years. And if someone wants a grey and visits youtube and sees them acting so intellegent and funny it is because the owner has put so much time in teaching them. It does not happen overnight but over years. I got a grey in July of this year and he has come a long way but it will be years before he can compare to some of them in the videos and he gets alot of attention. I'm sure there has many many hours of taping just to get a few good clips.

The people on here are trying to give you advice. Please don't pick and choose only the things you want to hear. There is tons of good about getting a grey but there is a downside, too especially if you are not willing to accept a grey for who it is. Yes, you can train them to do things but you can not mold them into something they are not.

You tube is not researching the characteristics, food requirements, cage requirements, out time requirements or nay of the very important information one must know to properly care for a Grey.

I would suggest you do a lot research in terms of reading what all these requirements and characteristics are, before you make statements or decisions that to most of us sound very uneducated and immature in regards owning any type of Parrot.

Owning, caring for and training a grey is not a bicycle ride through the park.......