NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

stop biting

nyahs__mom

Hello Nyahsmom,

I am uncertain how old your children are, but for the most part, children move to fast and of course pull their hands back quickly when a parrot bites. This reinforces the behaviour. The parrot is doing that out of fear or even just a strong dislike for children that run around, too excited, waving arms etc. Any Parrot larger than a small conure is not a good parrot for children to interact with. They could receive a horrific bite doing a lot of damage.

You parrot at 8 months of age is becoming more and more self aware and therefore starting to enforce what he likes dislikes and whom he wants no interaction with.

The only way to let other people around your grey at touching or step up distance is to supervise it very carefully and only allow them to offer a treat for example and make sure they are holding it at a distance that your grey can only reach the treat, not the fingers holding it.

This will take time and patience. there is no guarantee your grey will ever feel comfortable with children. Children for the most part are as unpredictable as a Parrot at times. The Parrot knows this and therefore learns very quickly NOT to trust small humans. :-)

Along with what Dan wrote , remember she is a female and I think most females are more protective than males.My female Alexandrine is very nippy around our three year old Grandson , as Dan said you never know what he is going to do . Perhaps when your Grey gets older , she will settle down .