NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Buzzard Eating Roadkill

Trustdace

Here is a pic I took this morning. As I was driving the family to go eat breakfast the kids became excited and started yelling, "Look Daddy! Look!" I looked over to the side and saw this big black bird right at the side of the road. I didn't see the item it was feeding on at first and I thought it might be injured. I have always seen these birds flying around up in the sky but never so close-up. Well you know me, I grabbed the camera and started shooting away....suddenly my daughter said look there's a dead cat! I looked ahead of the buzzard and saw an animal carcass a few feet away from it! Right then it marched right up to the carcass and started ripping it and feeding it right before our eyes! Man I felt like I was in an episode of nature or something! The kids were going, "Oooh how cool!!" Anyways; the dead animal is actually a huge possum that was hit by a car. I did manage to take a short video that I might post later if anyone is interested. By the way the buzzard was an incredibly beautiful specimen. I particularly thought the grey head is a nice color. buzzard.jpg

buzzard.jpg

Great Vulture photos Roger!!

What's the difference between a Vulture and Buzzard?

Well, in reality there are no "Buzzards" in the Americas. Though commonly called buzzards, the birds are actually vultures. The "buzzard" moniker originated with the early English settlers who thought the birds were like the soaring hawks they had called "buzzards" in the Old World. It was an understandable misunderstanding because the buzzards of the Old World (Eastern Hemisphere) included hawks, eagles, kites and even vultures. All those soaring birds were and are in the same bird family, Accipitridae.

However, the vultures of the New World (Western Hemisphere) are in a separate bird family, Cathartidae, even though they superficially resemble the Old World vultures with their bare-skinned heads.

There are seven species of New World vultures: the Andean Condor, king vulture, yellow-headed and greater yellow-headed vultures, California condor, turkey vulture, and black vulture. Only the black vulture, turkey vulture, and California condor---recently re-introduced into the wild---range in the United States.

Thank you Dan for the clarification. What an interesting avian species. I don't know why but it captured my attention instantly. Now with the information you have provided me I will look up the other related species. Thanks again Dan for another incredibly informative post. I always enjoy them.B)