NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

getiing a 7year old congo grey

moddo422

Welcome moddo, there are many people here that have adopted older birds. Just sit back and read through some of the information here, and plase ask as many questions that you want. You have not said to much about your new friend do you have him or are you just thinking about getting him? If you have him, tell us a little about him/her. And of course we all love to see pictures.:woohoo:

Carolyn & Mika

Hi Moddo, I got a 12 year old grey last July and I am very happy with my decision. It has been so rewarding to me and couldn't imaging life without him:) He is a great joy so it can be done and can be done successfully.

Like Carolyn said above it would help if you told us a little more about this grey so we can give you more informed answers. Is he tame, is he friendly, is he scared of people? It all depends on the bird and you of course. So please tell us a bit more about him.

Hi Mike, first I want to salute you for considering adopting an older grey. Would this be your first parrot ever? And what else do you know about this grey. What are the circumstances of its re-homing, i.e., death of original owner, moving, new baby in family. Does it have any issues or bad habits like plucking, biting, or is your potential grey well-behaved. These are all questions to take into consideration before any of our more experienced members can help you with answers to help you in this decision. Good luck on your decision.

Hello Mike and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new to you grey.

Thanks for taking in an older grey as they don't adjust as quickly to a new home like a baby grey would but with time and a lot of patience this could be the start of a good relationship.

Older birds require more time to adjust to a new home as they usually come with baggage but the rewards could be great if you are willing to make the committment of a lifetime of love and attention to this bird.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads and be sure to read thru all the threads in the rescue room and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have any pictures of this greyyou would share with us we would love to see them.

mr mike THANK YOU for taking in this older grey!

har har har in grey years 7 is not so old.

what a joy and a wonder he will be for you. can't wait to hear all about him, they are each such individuals.

-s<br><br>Post edited by: sandra902, at: 2008/11/04 16:19

Hi Mike and welcome here. Did you make any decisions in regards to the grey? Let us know a little more about the situation if you still need some advice...there are lots of issues for instance, is the bird tame and willing to step-up? Adopting an older grey is a great thing to do but it may require more time and patience if he has any behavioral problems.

Hi Mike

I just brought home a 5 year old Congo two weeks ago. We have been taking it very slow with her as far as petting her and putting her in overstimulating situations. She has acclimated to us and our home very well. She steps up every time, lets me scratch her head, and talks quite a bit. It has been great. Good luck and take it slow.

Scott