NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

he never goes back?

retronut

help please!

ive had vince now for nearly 3 weeks. he comes out of his cage for hours each day, as he should, lol. thing is, he never flies back to his cage? he has landed on it a few times but so far has never gone back to his cage for a drink or some food. is this normal? does he just make the most of his time out knowing i'll put him back at some point? i worry he's hungry or thursty sometimes. there's no food or drink available while he's out.

thanks for any info!

Hi Retronut,

Does your grey have a playstand he uses while he is out? I have one with two bowls attached, one I fill with pellets and the other one water so they do get access to something as they are out for quite a few hours each day!

My three use the playstand and also go into the nearest cage to help themselves!

Why dont you take a small dish of water to Vince while he is out? That way he will take a drink if he is thirsty. Also offer him food by hand feeding! Mine usually get their treats while they are out which include their favourite pine nuts.

You can see my playstand with the dishes on my profile page just to give you an idea. Most playstands have the dishes attached. If you have one already it may just take him time to get used to using it.

Good luck.

Caroline:)

Caroline gave great advice. Most of us have playstands and play areas with water and food bowls available to our FIDs. A young child at play will rarely want to go back in the house to eat. :-) Your Grey is no different.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/11/01 15:50

I totally agree with Carol's good advise. Charlie is out his cage almost all day and he did the same until i clipped his bowls on top of his cage. I now dont have to worry whether he eats or drink, cause its their for him. Put some bowls on his cage or playstand. :)

I totally agree with Carol's good advise. Charlie is out his cage almost all day and he did the same until i clipped his bowls on top of his cage. I now dont have to worry whether he eats or drink, cause its their for him. Put some bowls on his cage or playstand. :)

After Baxter goes out he will stay out for hours. He was never let out of his cage before I got him (as an adult) and I think he thought if he would go back in he would be locked up again. I used to worry all the time too, what if he's hungry, what if he's thirsty? Sometimes I would make him go back in. I asked the lady at my pet shop and she told me he will go in if he gets hungry or thirsty. He knows where it is. She advised me not to put food/water cups on the top of his cage or he wouldn't have a reason to go back in. So I left it like it was.

It's been a few months since then & now he goes in his cage a few times a day for a drink or a bite to eat but still stays out most of the day on top of his cage.

I do have portable perches and when we watch TV or what ever he does have food and water cups on those and he will eat everything from those. I think it's a socail thing for him. ;)

I bought him a new cage with 2 food cups on top but I don't use them. Good luck!