NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

play

retronut

hey everyone!

just thought id ask what your grey's play with. i've spent loads on toys as im sure you all have to. some they like, some they dont. at the moment vince likes to play with a bottle cap! :laugh: of all the toys i've got him he chooses this over all of them!

to save me some cash, what other household items get your birds attention?

Good question! I'm curious too.

I wrap extra beads and foot toys (anything with an interesting shape) in 3-4 unfiltered coffee filters, twist and tie them off. Gryph likes to tear into them and find the shape.

He's also obsessed with wiffle balls that have beads or bells in them.

At the moment, mine are into what are called goody bags with coloured wooden shapes from Northern Parrots(UK). They love to play with them in and outside of their cages.

They love playing with any kind of small ball, I love watching them playing beak ball on the floor.

I have not tried them with bottle tops but a few members have mentioned these before and they seem to be a favourite. I will try and find some old threads and see if there are any intersting things for everyone to read through.

Caroline:)

I wrap almonds or raisens or any other kind of nuts in cupcake wrappers and tie them on a long cotton string. I tie it to the cage and he pulls it up rips off the wrapper to get the treat in side, I usually wrap around 10 - 12 on the string, after he has had fun with the first few he has to haul up the string to get to the others. Also I use pinecones that have been picked up and baked in the oven, he love to destroy these.

Carolyn & Mika

I have spent a ton of money on toys to entertain my grey but found that a long white rope dangling has been his favorite for 2 months now. That, and a thin leather strap about 1/4" wide. Both of these I get from my pet store. I hang the rope from top of his cage down to the bottom and he literally spends hours frizzing the ends out. The leather strap I tie on his perch on top and put knots in it. He will work forever to get those knots out and untie the strap. These are very simple and cheap:) and his absolute favorites. He likes bottle caps, too. ;)

They are not called FIDs (Feathered Kids) for nothing.

Just like small children you spent a small fortune on toys only to find that they would rather play with the box they came in!

Misty's favored toy of the moment is a rolled up newspaper hanging from his tree perch. He covers the floor in small pieces of torn paper but it will keep him amused for ages.

:lol:

Steve n Misty

Tyco loves foot toys with thing that rattle I but baby rattles from the dollar store and she will play with them for hour she love her boing also but I had to take it away from her because she kept unscrewing the hook from the ceiling and then her and the boing would fall to the floor I was terrified she was going to hurt herself. I'm ging to get her a smaller one that I can hang in her cage that way she won't have to far to fall. she also love to shread news paper I give her all the flyers that aren't shiny paper and she rips them to shreads. she also like small tree branches that she can chew the bark off I give her lilac tree braches she will spend quite a bit of time chewing on them

Tyco loves foot toys with thing that rattle I but baby rattles from the dollar store and she will play with them for hour she love her boing also but I had to take it away from her because she kept unscrewing the hook from the ceiling and then her and the boing would fall to the floor I was terrified she was going to hurt herself. I'm ging to get her a smaller one that I can hang in her cage that way she won't have to far to fall. she also love to shread news paper I give her all the flyers that aren't shiny paper and she rips them to shreads. she also like small tree branches that she can chew the bark off I give her lilac tree braches she will spend quite a bit of time chewing on them

I think one of Tango's favorite toys that doesn't come from a store is... Me. Ta da! We can spend forever just "stepping up" from one hand to the next, or playing peek-a-bird in my hair, or nibbling my ears while I'm at the computer or reading a book.

I REALLY like the rolled-up newspaper idea. Tango gets computer paper a lot, but a whole section of a newspaper rolled up is a great plan.

And the coffee filters with treats hiding inside some, but not all, to keep 'em guessing. I love this thread =)

Rexxy cheep toys are : checkbook wallet, tons of caps from juices, rubber braclets, hair scusses, washed pill bottles and caps, baby teething rings, daughters cheapo plastic mcdonalds toys, cat toys without catnip (not sure if they can have catnip), empty paper rolls. Turkey stuffed animal he hates and beats up.

This is a great thread Janet and it is amazing how we can spend so much money on store bought toys that they may not even play with but will entertain themselves with something we otherwise would have thrown away.

I have found many ideas for cheap toys, the best kind, in this forum, some in this thread so thanks for sharing the ideas with us all.