NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Teflon

pyrowaves

Hey all,

I'm Trever's other half (besides Sassy for the time being), Jamie. I have a question regarding cooking around Sassy/parrots. I know that Teflon is bad. However, I've read that you can have something with Teflon heated up to 500 degrees before it causes damage? I want to cook something in a bunt pan in the oven at 375. Will it be okay? If there's doubt, would it be okay if we took her downstairs or upstairs away from the kitchen and turned on the fans in the kitchen? (Ceiling fan and stove fan).

I'm just trying to figure out how fine the line is between okay and not okay... Sassy is too cool of a bird to lose even if she gets a little "sassy" sometimes!

Thanks for your help!

There is no way to really tell when the situation becomes deadly, so my personal opinion would be to avoid the teflon and invest in an alternative. It's been found that PTFE coatings can give off toxins at lower temperatures than the 500 degrees of laboratory testing. As the pans and coatings age, they tend to give off these toxins at much lower temperatures. It's not only deadly for your bird, but unhealthy for you and your family.

If you have no choice, I would move your fids as far away as possible, The ceiling fan won't do much more than spread the toxins and ceiling fans are dangerous in their own way when you're a flighted parrot. Your best bet would be to open the windows and if possible vent outward. Bear in mind that the central air system you may have in your home can also transport toxins from room to room.

You're much better off with stainless steel, which is also non-stick when used properly. There are also a few new PTFE free non-stick surfaces showing up here and there. The jury is still out on their safety, but chances are that they are much safer than existing non-stick coatings.

There is indeed a fine line. However, I believe it's so fine, it is probably best not to flirt with it! :P If would find an alternative, just as Kaedyn said. I personally use stainless steel, it takes a bit of getting used to, but in the end it works just as good as non stick I think (and it really proves your a good cook! lol! :laugh: )

Also, I wouldn't use the ceiling fan, try to open as many windows as possible! Since it is starting to be cold out and depending on where your located this might not be viable for you. Try and move Sassy as far away as possible! Or just eat take out until you can get some stainless steel! I know that Wal-Mart has some PTFE-free cookware out there that (I believe) is still non-stick.

Hope this helped, good luck! :)

It did help. And thank you guys very much. Jamie decided to make something else in a glass pan just to be safe.

We planned on from the beginning not to use teflon pans but this was a case where she has to make a dish for tomorrow and the pan she borrowed to make it was coated.

thanks again.

Trever & Jamie