NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Before bringing your grey home.

casper

The decision to purchase a Grey should not be taken lightly!African greys are companion creatures. Therefore you must not only decide if a grey is right for you, but if you are right for a grey!

* Why do you want a parrot? Are you interested in close companionship?

* Will you stay commited? Even when faced with lifestyle changes such as a job loss, new relationship,

having a baby! general change of lifestyle!

* Greys can be really messy! Take it from me, I have three greys and spend all day cleaning up after them all! How will you feel when they poop all over or damage your doors or your furniture? Will you be annoyed when they rip your new wallpaper?

*Do you suffer with asthma or any other air-borne allergies? I was recently asked if I would consider adopting an 11 month old Cag because a member of the family suffered with Asthma! Health problems should be considered before taking a grey and maybe consulting your doctor.

* Will you still love your grey if it has behaviour disorders? For example plucking or screaming?

* Will you have the money for vets bills, insurance, toys, diet etc? I spend an awful lot on mine each month! You need to work out how much and could you afford this.

* What if your grey favours another member of the family and not you? This can happen, and has happened to some members. Would you still have time and patience for your grey.

These are just a few things I have been reading and think they are important questions to ask before the commitment is made to bring home one of these wonderful birds.

Caroline