NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Full-spectrum lighting suggestions?

Gryphon

I'm stuck between the AvianSunâ„¢ Deluxe Floor Lamp from Zoo Med and the FeatherBrite Woodtone Floor Lamp.

AvianSun is a 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent and FeatherBrite has a CRI of 91. I have no idea what this means :)

Does anyone know about these two companies?

I've used Zoo Med quite a bit in the reptile world. They have a very good reputation. From the sound of their name, FeatherBrite has more of an avian focus.

The Color Rendering Index (CRI) is basically a method of stating how the light produced by a light source will effect the color of an object. The standard by which this is measured is our Sun, which has a CRI of 100. A CRI of 91 is very good, since it comes very close to reproducing the same colors as they would appear outside.

The UVB rating is a measure of the invisible light that gives us a sunburn. It's what allows our fids to synthesize vitamin D3 and process calcium. The rating of 5.0 is in micro-watts per square centimeter. I think I've seen ratings as high at 10 from Zoo Med.

One thing to note about artificial UVB lighting is that they fall off very quickly from their initial rating. The only way to know is to buy a special UVB meter. Without knowing the current output, you might place the lamp either too close to your bird or too far away to be effective. Being too close could result in skin and eye irritations.

You also need to make sure that however the light is placed, your bird has plenty of options for getting out of the light. My personal preference is to take my fids outside at least once a week for 20 minutes of natural sunshine. When that's not possible, the lamps are a good alternative.

UVA is the visible light that is responsible for making our fids physically and mentally well. Imagine how your mental state changes from being in a dark room, to being out in the sun.

UVC is the extremely dangerous light that is used to kill bacteria. Simple exposure to UVC lighting can destroy DNA. The only place you'll really encounter light emitting high levels of UVC will be either outside of the earth's atmosphere or in specialized sterilization systems for air, water, etc.

I prefer to take my birds outside for 20 to 30 minutes a week also sometimes this canot happen like i the winter when its to cold I do have a couple fullspectrum lights that I use sometimes if its been nasty outside for a long time. I use one that has 91 cri but its a floresent bulb not a floor lamp

I constructed my own, as detailed in the http://www.greyforums.net/forums/limitstart/20/african-grey/47809-lighting.html thread.

You should check it out to become more familiar with the aspects to consider in regards to avian lighting.

As Kaedyns fine post suggests, there are draw backs to each manufacturers solution. It also take my FIDs outside, except in the winter when it's too cold and foggy. Then the avian lighting becomes a critical factor in their well being, both physically and mentally.

Nope. I'm not a science teacher. I just enjoy science and technology. I did a lot of research on artificial lighting when building a turtle habitat years ago. It used both UVA and UVB, along with infrared for heating. It had a filtration system that exposed the water to UVC light for sterilization. The latter took place inside a sealed chamber to protect any living creature from exposure.