NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Unusal baby behaviors....?

Anmlhggr

So, Indi is doing great in the flock, we had our first community bath last night it was lots of fun!

However, Indi has a few quirks I'd like to get rid of that are a bit odd and can't just be solved by ignoring.

First off whenever he is out of his cage - I do mean EVERYTIME he will fly over to me and land on my shoulder/head. I'm not comfortable with him being there and I'd like to be able to work without poop dripping down onto my nose lol :laugh: I'm fine if he sits on a perch next to me, or even sits on the desk in front of my next to my computer so he can cuddle up against me, but I don't like being flown to everytime he's out. I was cooking when I first brought him home and he tried to land on my and could have landing in my soup pot instead - that really scared me! Now he is in his cage when I'm cooking or trying to do something but I feel bad putting him in there. Also, he has TONS of toys in his cage, but if he is in his cage he is eating. I kid you not the bird eats constantly, but then he never finishes all his food....any ideas? When he flies to me, I put him back, then he flies over again, then I put him back. I know I could get his wings clipped, but I would rather not.

Any ideas or should I just suck it up? :P

Rikki did the same to me when she first came to our house. I bought her a large play stand for the kitchen, and consistently put her on it and told her she has to stay there when I'm cooking, or I tell her to stay there and I'll be right there to get her as soon as I can. Then I would make sure I did go get her after a few minutes and talk to her, then I would put her down again and do what I needed to do, all the time talking to her and making her feel that she was very important! :P This worked very well pretty quickly.

I also have a basket with a handle that circles up from one side to the other on my counter, and I put her there so she can watch me cook. I also make a HUGE deal about the stove, and it being HOT & DANGER!! All key words I use with both my greys, they seem to understand and now stay away. B)

I'm sure others here have more advice. :)