NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Should I rescue a plucker?

BaxtersMom

Many of you may know that I like to take in older birds that need new homes but I haven't had any really bad experiences with them or serious issues.

I know of a female eclectus parrot that is a pretty bad plucker. I don't need another bird for myself but she really needs to get out of the situation she is in. I was thinking about taking her in and working with her and hopefully rehoming her later to someone who would take care of her. If I could part with her at that time;) My intention wouldn't be to get another bird but to help her better and get her in a better situaion.

All I know right now is the guy doesn't want her anymore and doesn't have the time. I sent him an email asking more about her, how long has she plucked, is she friendly, does he know why she started plucking, etc but haven't heard back from him yet.

My question is ~ is this something I should attempt? Will it cost lots of vet bills or is it something I can do with love, care and healthy diet. I really want to help this bird but don't know if I would be biting off more than I could chew:dry:

I put in a small picture of her. I hope you can see it, it's pretty small but all I had.

Btw, I already have a male eclectus so I kind of know thier personalities/traits.

plucked.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/10/30 05:23

plucked.jpg

Adorable? You really are a softee:laugh: I think so too though.

I'm just wondering what is involved. I was thinking about getting her vet checked fairly quick to see if there was any underlying health problems but don't really know what all is involved. If it's just boredom and healthy diet and time I think I could do it but what about all the stuff I haven't even thought of. I don't want to make her situation worse but cant really see how that I could.

Now If I can just convince my husband. Maybe I will tell him she was lost and found our house like the conure did:laugh:

Im with them on this one. You have made great progress with your FIDS. So I say go for it. Obviously we can never be sure of health of the bird until we take it to a vet but if plucking is the only issue I think you can work on it together. I think some good food and TLC does wonders! Plus you have the forum here to support you!

Good Luck Erika!

Nims

That is very true Nims, I do have this forum and didn't even think of all that extra support that I have right here. (Duh) I am still waiting on the guy to get back with me. I am hoping she is still available. She is up for sale on an online newspaper ad. Been up for 2 weeks. Even if this one doesn't work out I do eventually want to take in a bird that has issues and needs a better life. I know I'm crazy, but can't help it. They pull at my heartstrings.

Has anyone had a plucker? What is the process of getting it feathered again? What is the down side of attempting something like this?<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/10/30 15:37

BaxtersMom wrote:

I know I'm crazy, but can't help it. They pull at my heartstrings.

:laugh: Glad you said that and not me:whistle:

Seriously, Erika you do have a big heart and I commend you for what you want to do, not everyone can open their hearts like you are willing to do. I hope this bird is still available and you hear about it soon.

I know just how you feel about all these poor birds that eed your help. You do have to keep yourself in check though ad remember you can't help them all. You have to choose wisely so you don't get in over your head. you also have to not have more than one or two rescues at a time because they do demand allot of attentio at first. I'm sure you already know this. If you think that Baxter has come into his own and you are ready for another at this time then go for it. If not don't worry there is always another bird out ther to save I can garentee it. I'm not tryig to discourage you at all I think its wonderful that you have a heart for the rescues but if you get to may at one time you won't have enough time to help them. So pick and choose carefully. I love Elkes I would take one even if they did pluck these are just bad behavours and they can be change into somthing more positive with love and a good uderstanding on why they are plucking in the first place there are so many causes you may have to go through a few to find the cause and fix it. If its just stress thats a easy one so is a medical problem. other reasons can be harder to figure out. Please if you get this bird try not to use drug therapy to fix it. If the birds depressed try to make it happy do't use anti deppresants so many vets offer this I would not use them but thats just my opinion. The down side of trying to help a plucker is that you may never be able to get her to stop. But a featherles bird is still in need of all your love and they are beautiful on the inside if not on the outside. Just remeber beauty is only skin deep. If she has been a plucker for a very long time she may have damaged herself and may not be able to grow feathers anymoore. The worst Possible could be that she has beak and feather disese and if thats the case You dob't ever want to bring her around the rest of your flock please be careful make sure you know what your getting into ask lots of questions.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/10/30 19:37

Thanks Tycosmom. I really appreciate all the insight. What you said made a lot of sense, too. I was hoping that plucking was just a bad behavior and could be fixed but scared of medical problems that I couldn't afford. I do have to think long and hard on this and pick and choose carefully as you said.

I have this thought though that if it's meant to be it will happen and that the birds end up with certain people for reasons.

I'm with you on the drug therapy. I wouldn't use antidepressants on any animal.

I guess time will tell the story. I still haven't heard from the guy so this one is may not be meant to be but that is ok, too. I am getting alot of the info I wanted incase I ever do get one that needs some extra help.

Does anyone know how long it takes feathers to grow back out half way decent once they stop or slow down on the plucking?

Thanks again.

Erica if anyone can do it you can.Word of warning though,You may be landed with a heap of vets bills,Plucking is usually a psycological problem but medical reasons need to be ruled out, this means blood work and other tests.I would also advise a very strict quarantine untill any illness is ruled out to protect the rest of your flock. Even if the cause is psycological it can still cost a fortune trying different appproaches to help the condition. Good luck. I am sure you will come to the right decision .

If you can get a bird to stop plucking. the feathe should all be back within a month or two because they been plucked completely out they don't take long to grow when they mold you'll notice that within a day or two they already have pins and feathers starting to grow well it the same when they pluck them they will grow a new feather right away if you can break the cycle you can have a fully feathered bird in no time.

Thanks Sheila and Tycosmom. I am atleast understanding it more and that is why I wanted to do this post and get some answers. Was hoping it might be for this Ekkie but the guy has not called me back and am beginning to think he is not going to. He might not have her anymore which is probably best at the this time anyway. :( I guess.

I think the right bird will present itself when it is meant to be;)

I do appreciate all the insight and advice and want to thank everyone for their confidence in me that I can help out a bird in need.:)

Ok, I have heard back from the man with the eclectus. He said she is tame, very friendly, doesn't bite, loves human companionship. She started plucking when she lost her mate. He says she wants to breed really bad but he won't let her. He said he has her on Featherup and Calciboost. Anyone know about those products. Are they right? He said she hasn't been plucking lately and the happier she is the less she will pluck.

Atleast it didn't sound medical and something did happen to make it start. Now my questions are, (if I get her) first I would quarantine her to opposite end of the house but when I do bring her together with my other birds will she be drawn to my male eclectus and will he be drawn to her? Separate cages of course. I don't want either of them breeding. I want my ekkie as a pet. He did not say if she was a breeder or not but said she lost her mate. Is that the same thing? If I have a female in the house will I be putting Tigger my ekkie at risk and make him want to breed? Thanks for any advice.

Its okay to have two birds friendly with one another as long as they are in separate cages and you don't put up a nest box. My two conures are the best of friend and would probubly breed if given the oportunity but they are in separate cages. they spen all day feeding each other and preening each other both are my pets and both are very friendly and cuddly with me as well. as long as you keep them in different cages you shouldn't have any problems breeding wise anyway.

I am glad he got back to you.I am not sure about the breeding problem but my guess is that it would affect tigger.I assume introducing them may start a breeding reaction. I share your views on keeping Tigger as a pet.I still urge caution.On saying that from what you have been told the bird is not as bad as first thought.

After thinking it through I have come to a decision not to get the female eclectus. My original intent was to get her out of her current situation because I didn't think she was being taken care of properly but since I have heard from the guy I realize the she is being taken care of. She is plucking but it was do to her losing her mate and he said she hasn't been plucking lately and her feathers are coming back in.

I thought her situation was much worse & I should take her in and get her better and rehome her later to a forever home but I think she is getting cared for by her current owner and there is no logical reason for me to get involved this time since I found this out. If he wasn't taking care of her I would have taken her in a minute but don't see the point bringing her home to just find another home for her if she is being cared for now. She isn't in as bad of situation as I originally thought and it would be hard to part with her later on down the road. I think I made the right choice by not taking her in. This way hopefully the next place she goes is to a forever home.

And I found out some real good information on this while considering her. Thanks everyone.

Good plan it would have been very hard on her to be passed from home to hone I love elkies I think they are just the most beautiful birds The have the most gorgous colours I've ever seen. I'm proud of you for concidering the birds feelings in this situation and not just your own. You trully do have a heart for the birds.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/11/01 11:38

Good plan it would have been very hard o her to be passed from home to hone I love elkies I think they are just the most beautiful birds The have the mosy gorgous colours I've ever seen. I'm proud of you for concidering the birds feelings in this situation and not just your own. You trully do have a heart for the birds.

Erika,

I also think this is the right decision! Now that you have found out more about the bird the circumstances are different and I also think it would be difficult to pass the bird between houses.

Your big heart and lots of patience will help another rescue in the future. I know you will find the right bird who needs your care and love.

Caroline;)