NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need Advice

Sallas

I am sorry, I am sure there are a few posts on this already...

My older Grey just hates baths, but I see her scratch her head all the time if I do not bathe her.

I was wondering if it is any help to maybe bring them in the bathroom with me when I take my shower so they at least get a steam bath. Then maybe after some time, I can try bringing her back into the shower again.

I think it is my fault as to why she hates baths. I am disabled and the very first time I took her into the shower with me, she did not seem totally against it. Of course I did not directly spray here with the shower water (the shower at our old place had tremendous pressure, I was afraid it would hurt her). But anyway, the first time I took her in, I slipped (because I am stubborn and do not like asking people to help me physically) as I was getting out of the shower and it scared her pretty good.

I want her skin to be healthy, but I also do not want to traumatize her.

EDIT: Since the shower, I have tried getting a small tub and putting a couple inches of water in it (maybe 1 - 2 inches) and tried misting her and she just hates water all together now.

Post edited by: Sallas, at: 2008/10/29 22:04<br><br>Post edited by: Sallas, at: 2008/10/29 22:18

If you have a disability, you shouldn't risk getting hurt in the shower with your bird. They can get spooked easily. It's not unusual for greys to not like showers, bathing, misting, sinks of water but thereare methods to use in order to accomplish successful partial or total bathing. First off, it's not necessary to bathe your bird alot unless he has a special problem.

There are some methods but you should understand that all will take time to achieve. People get discouraged and think they've failed because it doesn't happen quickly.

Probably, the best way to get a grey used to the fact that he/she is gonna get watered down is to use a mister. Your bird will probably run to the other side of the cage. take the mister and put it above him and mist downward so that water acts like a very light shower. Again, he might run away but you need to be persistent with whatever method you wind up using. Eventualy, if your bird gets used to the mister, put it closer and only use 1/2 squirts on the breast. Don't squirt him in the face. When your bird finally accepts that turn nozzle so that water comes out like a water pistol. Use 1/2 sqirts and aim at the crease between the wing and body. It's not waterproof in that area so the water will get in and wet feathers. Constantly do this for a while until you eventually see that your bird will tolerate it ( he still won't like it.) It might take time. Then use the mister and spray breast and top of body. That's it. If you hit the top of the body, that will take some dander away. Of course, it's not like standing in a sink of water but it does work. Don't worry about your bird squawking or growling and having a pissed off facial expression. They all do that. The more he gets used to the misting, the more water you can use. Basically, the breast and between body and inner wing is very important area. A bird will push that water around to other parts of the body. One other thing---experiment with cold and room temp water. Some like it cold, others like room temp water and make sureyou don'thurt yourself. If he gets you into a pretzel, forget about and try again at a later time.

I think the easiest way to get a bird tollerent of bathing is to use a sprey bottle.Set it so a fine mist of water comes down on him. He may not like it at first but if you do it often enough he will accept it. He may fuss at first but keep at it.My two love to stand in the sink and I sprey them there. Neither of them have ever objected to bathing so I am lucky ,its one problem I dont have.Good luck.

I totally fel your frustration Salias---

yours truly here has spastic diplegia (form of cerebral palsy) and yes, I've face-planted in the bathtub quite a few times myself.

Because I'm not that steady on my feet etc, I would recommend getting a perch that you can place in the bathtub. Then, pull up a chair and mist away!

IT's gonna take a while for your grey to disassociate bathing with the incident but it will happen.

Also, do remembeer greys aren't like other parrots sometimes. Other species may go crazy and do a funny dance when their wet etc, but with greys, if they're just sitting there letting the water fall on them while they kinda close their eyes that's a good sign. That's a happy grey taking a bath. Sometimes they do act like other parrots and get crazy, sometimes they don't. Just keep practicing with your bird, offer lots of praise while you bathe her, and if she starts really, really trying to get away or something then stop for the day, give the bird a treat and go do something else. With time it'll get better.

good luck!

Oh I am glad this came up! Gryphon's previous owner used the spray bottle as a deterrent for unwanted behaviors. I'm planning on gradually reintroducing it. He's been with us for three weeks and seems pretty comfortable, so I thought we might start this weekend. I'll definitely go slow and use a treat afterward.

Thanks for posting this!!!