NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Deadly bite

dhorje

We went to a pet shop last Sunday. There were 2 Amazons and a beautiful Grey on a square perch. The Grey was sold to the shop owner recently, supposed to be tame but he didn't allow anyone (strangers) to touch him. He would not hesitate to bite as warned by the shop owner.

Somehow he allowed my wife to touch his beak. After awhile the Grey walked away and my wife focused her attention on the Amazon. While playing with the Amazon, the Grey turned back and out of sudden without warning he gave a hard bite on my wife's finger.

We had to leave because my wife's finger was bleeding quite badly.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: dhorje, at: 2008/10/29 08:12

Yep, thats a bite and not a bad one at that. You will get used to them as a Parrot owner. :pinch: ;-)

I agree that the Grey was probably jealous, as Fairy suggests. :-)

Please tell you rwife to ensure she removes earrings before shouldering a bird or it will get ripped out. They love bling.

I do not usually let most of my birds on my shoulder. But they always insist on trying to get there, our male Sun Conure has a big time finger nail fettish, and I have learned to take my ring off before I handle him. But every time I bring him out he like to make a run for my shoulder to get my ear ring.

Now my female TAG is not interested in jewelry, if she wants to go on my shoulder i sometimes let her if I am sitting down. She is pretty clumsy (in the wild I do not think she would have lived to be an adult. After we got our male TAG, i can really see it. both of there wings are clipped but he can still fly for a short distance where she has the flight of a rock. and when he perches he holds on, where she does not even hold on with her feet she does not even really wrap her feet around my finder she stands with her back toes somewhat straight out.

To me that looks like a good bite but then Josey has never bitten me, I know its coming but she just doesn't clamp down, she is very easy going so far, makes me wonder what you all are doing to make your greys bite like that:S I know it depends on the temperment of each individual grey and I guess I got lucky.

I do allow both of my parrots to sit on my shoulder and Sunny, my sun conure lives there, Josey is content to sit on a playstand most of the time but she gets shoulder time too when I can run the conure off.

I don't wear any jewelry at home for obvious reasons.

well, without kidding I can take it that one bird can be perfectly jealous of another being the center of attention.

so - just distribute your attention evenly :)