NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

are grays cage chewers

pat36

Hi. I will be getting a 4 month old baby in 4 months. I would like to know if somebody's grey chews on the cage or chips the paint off? I have a very large cage and have done a lot of research on bird safe paint and found this one, it has no voc and noled ,zinc ,chromate http://www.mythicpaint.com/ I read that greys don't chew on their cages? Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Pat

They don't really chew on their cages but they do use their beaks to help them climb their cages should be powder coated paint and baked on its up to you but I would not use a cage that had to be painted for my bird I was always be afraid that some how my birds would ingest some and poison themselves

pat36

They do chew on their cages..the door latches, bowl latches, the inside walls, insides of the roof, the grating. Greys are well known as chewers and more importantly, it's takes quite a long time before they give up chewing on a certain area, a very very long time. They're persistant to a fault. So, if there's even the slightest chance that he/she can scrape a little paint off, I guarantee you that he'll never stop. Some greys won't do this but it's impossible to know which will and which won't. It's not good to put paint in a cage that will be occupied by a well known chewing parrot. if you feel that your cage is in bad shape, you can look into getting it powder coated. My opinion is no paint. Better safe than sorry.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/29 05:57

My grey does enjoy grinding the cage bars from time to time...I think because he likes the noise.

I for one do not trust any paints...non-toxic or not...and would not put my grey in a cage that was painted. Paints are not tested for toxicity when ingested, just the toxins released into the air. I think it was in bird talk the other month where they talked about this very issue of painting cages and the manufacturer of a "safe paint" did not recommend putting a bird in a cage that was painted because the chance of ingestion. If you want to refinish a cage I would recommend getting the cage powdercoated.

Powder coating is done professionally. It involves having the cage stripped down and the powder coated finish is then baked in. Go to EBAY. Type in Bird cages. Look at all the cages and their descriptions. You'll see hundreds of powder coated cages. There's not too many colors that manufacturers use--black, grey/silver, green, red, gold.

It might be less expensive to get another cage as opposed to having the old cage done. Check it out and see what you come up with.

yep, like Dave said you can't do powder coating yourself. The process of powder coating is done by first cleaning the part to a dry, bare metal surface, a special electrostatic spray gun with 30,000 to 90,000 volts, is used to apply a thin layer of "plastic" powder onto the surface of the part to be coated. The powder is held onto the part by static electricity. Kind of like dust on a TV. Once coated, the part is oven baked at approximately 400 degrees Fahrenheit. The curing oven melts the dry powder to a "gel state" and then further curing causes this gel to harden into a very tough "plastic" coating. This flowing and fusing of the coating in the final curing oven creates a continuous coating which is very hard and has no porosity. From what all I have read it's anywhere from $10-$20 a sp.ft for "grates".

i under stand a shp has to do it it is just i herd some cotings have zinc and chromate wich is dedly to a bird the zinc is for fiting rust the chinese cages they say have this in ther power cot pant agen sare for the spelling i have dyslexia

Hello Pat and welcome to the Forum.

I think you will find it cheaper and actually better in the long run to just purchase a new cage. You can find them very reasonably priced on ebay.

Depending on the size of the cage you want done, it will be between 200 - 300 minimum depending on the shop.

Not sure where you live but could try

www.craigslist.com

www.kijiji.com

put in your state/city

here we also have a small weely paper called the trading post.Where people post things for sale.Thier wasn't any cages avail. when I bought mine,so I had to get new.but since I've seen some really nice ones.way cheaper then I paid for mine.

Ask what happened to the bird that was in it,clean with colrox & water...leave out in sun to dry.

thank you i ended up geting it sand blasted and power coted for 150 just had to call a lot of plasesi to find this prise not a lot of plases have bisnes now.so you can get a grat prise.shoud be geting my gray in 2 to 3 months it will be 2 months old when i get him home now i nwd to think of a name sare for the spelling i have dyslexia

i just coudent dich the cage it is 6 fet high by 4 wide.this baby will be lost in it til he is like 1 yeri will only use the top secon til ne is 15 weeks.now i have to do a lot of reserch on rasing a 2 month old babe.any one have any goud articals or know any reel good bocks about rasing a gray from a babe. the eags hach ane day.so i ned to name him to.i will post picks wen he is home

yes i did her this.i am debating using a starter cage mush smaller or lift the grat almost to the top and put the branshis and toys 2 to 3 inches from the botom. with lots of towels like you menshined. i see they have info in the nursry secken but i am locking for a bock in much more deepth.about good wates so i can way him now and then and things to wach out for our sun and jenday will be very good frens to him

well just got the nuse:silly: .my babe gray hached last night. 2 out of 4 egs hached. my frend sead they are very helthy and hungry. cant wate to see then.i will post a pivk later to maro.i will have to figer out how to post a pick her:kiss: