NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rigel learning to share?

Kaedyn

I suppose this will be a twofold post. I uploaded a new video of Rigel learning to share. Or more accurately, of Sierra attempting to steal Rigel's apple.

See it here...

Just a few days ago, Gryphon posted some photos of her StarBird net. That's the same net you'll see in the video and the pictures that follow. I'm posting the photos to show one way you can install these nets.

My goal was to minimize the impact on the walls and ceiling. As in, I wanted to make sure I could easily repair the holes. I also wanted to make sure that it could be installed and removed very quickly, and that the birds could not get to the walls.

I started by installing small rope cleats that are screwed into the wall studs. I pre-drilled the holes to make it easlier. Following that, I used a few feet of stainless steel chain to reach between the net and the cleats. The chain slides over the cleat, holding it to the wall. I ran the chain through a few feet of 3/4 inch PVC. This is slippery and prevents the birds from being able to climb beyond the end of the net.

That's about all there was too it. I can easily adjust the height of the net using the extra chain and when removed, the only item you'll see are the tiny cleats. You can always paint the cleats the same color as your wall and they're pretty much hidden. IMG_2444s.jpg

IMG_2444s.jpg

That is such a great idea for hanging the net, after the putting a boing in the ceiling incident Hubby was very clear on no more holes in the ceiling:( (but at times I have selected hearing). But your ideas have given me a way I can hang a net and not touch his ceiling:evil:

So now I will be out to get my net and the accesories I need and wait until he goes to work tomorrow to hang it.;)

Carolyn & Mika

I know exactly what you're saying Carolyn. I'm that guy who is being protective of the ceiling, so I knew I had to come up with some solution that preserved the house, yet allowed the fids to have their fun. Also, when the net is down you'll hardly notice the wall cleats. If you ever sell the house, all you have to do is unscrew the cleats, fill the small holes with some drywall mud, and apply a tiny spot of paint.

One thing I did forget to mention that's probably important. I didn't use the screws that came with the cleats, since I felt they didn't penetrate deep enough into the wall studs. While at the hardware store, you'll want to get the same screws that come with the cleats, just in a slightly longer length.

Anmlhggr: I have no idea why you got the "no longer available" message. Give it another try. I just tested it and it seems to be fine. You can also try navigating directly to my videos by searching "Kaedyn2006" in the YouTube search box.