NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Safety precautions when building a PVC perch

EFGriffith

Hi, all! I'm making a shopping trip to Home Depot Wednesday to hopefully pick up all the supplies I need to make Tango a brilliant PVC perch. (Well, it will be my first attempt, so probably far less than brilliant...) The thing is, I need to know how to do this safely. There's a particular kind of rope I need, right? What is it? And what about gluing things on it? Also, how do you disinfect ROPE...?

What are some of the initial safety precautions I need to be aware of as I'm purchasing, sterilizing, constructing, and introducing the perch?

Get 10 ft. 3/4 inch pieces of piping plus elbows of different types. They have a huge variety of extension pieces for all size PVC. The rope that's used is Jute. The roll is 190 ft. You'll also need caps ( size--for 3/4 in piping). Get extra caps and extra different elbow designs. If you want any of the piping cut down, go to lumber dept and tell them what lengths you want. Any extra unused elbows and fitting can be returned for refund or exchange. Piping can be returned as long as no cuts are made in it. Jute rope doesn't get disinfected. The jute rope is soaked in water and then wrapped very tightly on each piece of piping. When you wrap the piping and reach the end of a piece of piping, leave 1 1/2 inches extra. Take cap and twist it on with end of jute in it. That provides the tight fit of the jute on the piping.

It's not necessary to do any of the legs of a stand with the rope.

When jute is dry, it swells up adding an extra tightness around piping. Glue isn't necessary but if you need to do spot gluing, use Carpenter's glue.

Wipe down each piece of piping after cutting to remove shards that may be on piping. Each piece of piping and elbow has a UPC label attached which is the tag that the cash register scanner identifies. This is what thye package of Jute looks like in the roll and on the pipe.

The ID # on the Jute is 530

DSCN0201.gif

DSCN0200.gif<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/27 20:42

I wraped all my pieces in vet wrap for grip it is available in all different colors and adds a little Jazz to your perch. I also used white school glue but the fit is so tight you really dont have to use anything and can charge things around if you want to at a later date or just to make things interesting.

Good luck with your stand;)

Carolyn & Mika