NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chucking food out

29Curtis

Can somebody please tell me why my bird is chucking her food out (scraping the bowl with her feet ?.

I actually bought a different type of food today thinking she was maybe bored with the other stuff, but shes doing the same to that one.

I think there is a reason for it and would love to know what and how to stop it.

She is 5 years old.

Thanks

Gaynor

It could be one of many different things, might just bea phase she is going thru, but Cindy posted a link to another threads that deals with basically the same thing so read it thru and get back with us on it.l

While you are at it, Gaynor, why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little about you and your bird.

It could be that in the wild the nearest thing to feeding from a bowl is when they are ground foraging. They use their feet to scratch around to turn up interesting bits.

A lot of their natural food is found hanging in trees so i now hang fruits, vegetables and sweet corn from branches in his tree perch. I use thick cotton cord threaded through the food item and hang them so they depend from six to twelve inches. He enjoys hauling them up using his beak pull up and his feet to hold a loop in the cord until he can grab the bounty.

He will have a go at food that he would otherwise ignore or throw on the floor.

This is him on Youtube just after he taught himself the trick

At other times when we share a meal I will put his share on a small plate. When he has had his fill he will try to tip the plate up or drag it down to fall on the floor. One thing about Greys, for all their intelligence they have absolutely no manners !

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/10/26 20:28

Some parrots have that habit. Sometimes they'll stop cause it's temporary and others just like doing it but either way, food gets wasted because it falls in droppings so you think about getting a different type of feeding bowl. They're hooked and can't be scraped out. They come in different sizes, different colors and are extremely heavy duty. basically, they're made from the same material that crock pots are made of. Some people have switched over and have had success.

Crockset2.jpg

Crockset1.jpg