NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

PTFE-FREE quik question

cflanny

Sorry I know there are other threads about this but I was hoping for a answer kinda quickley as I am going shopping for a new set of pots and pans today.

I am finding these sets that say they are eco friendly they are nonstick but say thge are free of PTFE

This is the description of a set

Tramontina's 8 pc. Eco-Friendly Cookware Set features a PTFE-FREE nonstick coating, porcelain enamel exterior, shatter-resistant glass lids and stainless steel handles. Made in the USA. Lifetime Warranty.

This Eco-Friendly Cookware Set features the latest available technology in PTFE-FREE nonstick coating production to provide consumers an eco-friendly choice. Unlike conventional nonstick coating containing PTFE, the NP2TM nonstick technology delivers a new cooking experience. To achieve optimal performance, it may be necessary to adjust one's cooking style and heat settings. Additionally, all materials selected to produce the eco-friendly cookware embrace the concepts of sustainable design, which means each cookware or packaging component can either return to the natural ecosystem through biodegradation, or be recycled at the end of the product's lifespan.

Are these truly safe??? Sorry again about the new thread about this subject

Cindy this type of cookware is news to me as I haven't heard of any other nonstick cookware without teflon but it does look promising. I would say it would be safe if it says PTFE-free, maybe Dan or one of the other more knowledgeable members will know for sure but it sounds to me like a safe bet.

In theory they are safe. I use them myself for the few things that I prefer to cook in a non-stick pan. Of course, we won't really know how safe they are until more time has passed. But, the primary enemy, PTFE, is absent. So, it should be safe.

Thanks so much I just hate not knowing this is such a important issue that theres not alot of room for error expirement=death really I only need a egg pan mabey I will just buy 1 and get a set of Stainless. I havent hardey cooked since ZZero has been home I only own 2 pans I can use. Thanks again

I found this online and wanted to share:

Thermolon -- the supplier of the non-stick coatings that have taken the cookware world by storm, today announced that they have merged with Shinwoo Trading Company -- the South Korean company that manufactures the coating.

Thermolon™ has proved extremely successful on the USA and European markets and has sent shock waves through the entire professional culinary world. Thermolon™ coatings are completely PTFE-free and, therefore, no PFOA (sometimes known as "C8") is used at any stage during Thermolon's manufacture.

For many years, Shinwoo has been committed to the development and research of environmentally-friendly, PTFE-Free and High Temperature Resistant coatings.

In Phase 1 of the new company, a new investment of USD15 Million is planned in 2008 to expand further the production capacity of Thermolon™.

Both companies will go under the umbrella of Thermolon Ltd and all products will be branded as Thermolon™.

Their clients include: Home Shopping Network (USA), MIGROS (Switzerland), Demeyere (Belgium), Russel Hobbs (UK) and Shulte Uffer (Germany). Many new customers are being added as the market need for PTFE-free, high heat resistant, and environmentally sustainable coatings grows.

Thermolon Ltd is the fastest growing company in the environmentally- friendly coating industry for the year 2007. The outlook for the year 2008 promises continuation and strengthening of this trend. Consumers appreciate that they now have the choice between highly heat-resistant, PTFE/PFOA-free Thermolon™ versus the traditional low temperature-resistant PTFE-containing coatings.

(PFOA, a persistent organic pollutant and likely human carcinogen, can found in the blood of animals and most of the human population. Under a voluntary stewardship program of the USA's EPA, PFOA emissions and levels found in end products must be reduced to zero by the year 2015. It is currently a cause of great concern to environmental bodies and to organizations such as the WWF (World Wildlife Fund)).

Posted January 30th, 2008

Carolyn & Mika

We have them here in Holland, too, but I don't really trust them. So I bought a high quality stainless steel frying pan, because my parrots love to join me in the kitchen. So no special layers on the pan, just me watching carefully the meal I'm cooking, and stirring of course. I don't want to risk anything!

Interesting topic. I have always used non-stick pans until Indy came along. I use them for easeof cooking and had to give them up for the safety of my bird.

Anyhoooooooooooo the point of this post is that there are other makes that are also PTFE free such as gastrolux which is available here in the UK

Nims

I put together an article on PTFE (non-stick) dangers around the household. I've tried to make it as comprehensive as possible, but I'm sure I've missed many things. My intention was to make this sort of a non-stick FAQ for those who visit this site or find us via a search. So, since we're sort of on the topic, if any of you have suggestions or additions to the article please let me know. You can private message me if you prefer. The article is under the "Health and Nutrition" tab.

Thanks!!!

Why take the risk? If you cook properly with Stainless there is little to no "sticking" problem. I would just get a quality stainless set and use that for all your cooking needs. Its not only concern for your birds, but the potential effect on humans as well!