NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pippin and Harvey to be friends?

harvey

Currently they share a room and they come out of their cage separately. Pippin usually comes out after Harvey has gone to bed which is in a different room.

Anybody with an African Grey and a Cockatiel like to share their experiences?

As I said up till now they haven't been out together. Today I let Pippin ontop of her cage whilst Harvey was out. Mostly it was peaceful. Harvey did make a beeline for Pippin's cage a few times and I stood between them to make sure nothing happened. Lost my nerve then and put Pippin back in.

They might get on but at the end of the day is it not worth the risk seeing as Harvey's beak is as big as Pippin's head and if they got on 99% of the time that 1% they didn't would probably be the end of Pippin. :huh:

Yes Please I love yapping about my grey Charlie and tiel Cracker. I would never allow them to have any sort of contact with each other.Cracker would be history if Charlie got at him. Funny enough it is the tiel who insists on going to Charlie. Mind you he is a butty short of a picknick.I have an aviery outside in the garden where one of them can go to in the summer, the winter is another matter. I have had to make the decision to have Cracker clipped for his own safety.He can still fly, actually quite well but it gives me the oportunity to get him out of his cage till the spring and he can go to the aviery for a few hours during the day. My vet who is usually against clipping had no reservations when I explained the situation.So my advise is keep them well away from each other. My two are caged in the same room and do chatter to each other,so are company for each other in that way. Sheila

I have 2 cockateils and they are in the same room as my Grey and they do have out time together under supervision. Tyco my Grey is fully flighted but I do keep my teils clipped as said they are not the brightest bulb in the box. and would fly over and put themselves in danger if they weren't clipped. besides that I just lost a cocateil because he got spooked and flew into a window and broke his neck so now the cockateils are clipped for their own safety. I have no problems with tyco trying to attack the teils unless they try to venture into her territory. She likes them I think she listens to them intently all day long. my male Cocatiel talks and says a llot of the same things Tyco says so I think Tyco likes that. my female is very quiet and doesn't say vocalize much at all. I don't have problems with them being out together but thats always been the way it is in my house all the bird cages get opened from early morning until 8 pm unless I have to go out. I do put the smaller birds in there cages when I'm not home even when My daughter is here and I'm not. the big birds can stay out as long as someone is home but unless I'm supervising the little birds must go in their cages.