NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey making no sense, please help

stlcausntrbl

I adopted a grey last January. He is 13 yrs old. Always been very gentle. He has always stepped up. Suddenly, I had to take his large cage away(on the suggestion of the rescue I got him from), because he would not step up from his cage. Now he will not step up from his playstand unless I turn all of the lights out at night. Then he calls me (he calls me girl). He steps up fine to go to his playstand with the lights out, he steps up fine from his (travel)nightime cage. But once he is on his playstand he bites the ***** out of me. I have tried to suck it up and take the bites to get him to step up, but it is not working. Any ideas?

Sounds like he wants his large cage back. If he is only stepping up when the lights are out, sounds like he thinks he is going to bed (in his old large cage) What was the reasoning behind taking it away? Someone with experience with this problem will be along to help. Right Dan or Dave or...

Since there is a big change concerning the cage, his attitude about many things might have also changed. You might have to start the stepping up process all over again using an 8in to 10in hand perch and do it in the daytime and sometimes in the night time so he gets used to seeing it in the evening as well as day. It might take a while but just as he'll probably get used to his new cage, he'll also get used to your hand again because he was hand friendly in the past. This problem periodically happens for different reasons other than cages. Moving to new room, to new house, new people etc.

I too would begin the step up process from the begining.I do not know why you were told to use a smaller cage.I always believe the bigger the better. I got a new cage for Charlie not so long ago and he did take a while to get totally at ease.It is slightly larger than his old one and I find it easier to get him to step up in the larger cage.More room for me to manover round.

It seems strange the rescue advised you to take away his large Cage, as "She" mentioned in her reply. They do sometimes become territorial over their cages, whether it is small or large.

Do you still have the large cage or did you actually get rid of it?

In reality, getting your Grey to acccept a step up again is going to be some work, whether it's from a small or a large cage.

Did anyhting change in the room his previous cage was in, furniture, cage position etc.? Were any other people, pets or birds added to the family?<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/10/25 21:12

I was told to take his cage away because the people at the rescue said they have seen this before in greys and they called it "cage defense". The funny thing is, he will step up from anywhere but his playstand and his large cage. If I set him anywhere else he will step right up.

Personally, I would make his primary cage the Large one he can get plenty of exercise in and not damage his wings should he need to flap due to a slip and fall or to correct his balance.

Some Greys are territorial of their Cage and playstand as you are describing. Let him climb out of his cage on his own. Since he steps up from everywhere else besides his Cage and Playstand, the problem is not learning to trust your hand. It is him being territorial of what he considers "His".

• 2 weeks later...

You can also try what I do with my TAG when he is being "bitey". If he is refusing to step up and biting a lot I will wrap my hand in a towel and then make him step up. That way if he bites it doesn't hurt me but I get the point across that he has to do what I say. I tried the whole ignoring the bite thing but he can bite hard and I tend to flinch away and he knows this. I have to use the towel less and less now, only when he is having a moment and refusing to step up for me. It works for us and keeps me from being afraid of handling him.

By the way, I would also give him the bigger cage back. He might as well have a nice big cage to stay in and if he's going to be territorial, he'll do it with whatever he considers his home. Try my towel trick or using a small perch or something to save your hand and keep working on the step-ups.<br><br>Post edited by: Lyric, at: 2008/11/07 16:30

• 2 weeks later...

We use a dowel rod when our grey gets in that mood. Once you start letting him have his way, he wins. Usually the next time after using the dowel he steps onto your hand the next day. If he shows an aggressive stance when you start to put your hand in the cage go straight to the rod.