NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A second one

Nell

B) Hi all I would like to know if and what is going to happen if you put another African Gray parrot with yours in the same house. My sister's giving her up,for no good reason, so I will take him in. He doesn't have a good life there, always put aside. And so on. But mine is in a very loving home. My daughter in law always says if she dies and comes back, she would love to be my parrot. I spoil him totally. Any words of advice.

Go slow! The bird you currently have, treat him/her as the 'top bird' always. Talk to them first, let them out first, put them to bed last etc. I'm not saying completely ignore the new one, but make sure your first bird knows they are top of the flock (under you of course! :laugh: ). If you treat the both the same, they will be competeing for top bird, where as if one clearly is above the other, than it will help with the tension. Don't force them to be close to one enough if they like, always supervise them until you are 100% positive they will be ok, and even then I doesn't hurt to keep an eye out. I am under the impressed that this 'transition' period can take months. Just, go slow :)

Hope this helped!

I will. I am bit afraid, but this is a loving home, we hope for the best.

They are actual I think brother and sister, the to parrots, we have bought them the same time, they are from the same batch from witch the were born.

The established bird is the #1 bird in the house and should remain so. The new bird has no idea about being the #1 bird in your house. Jealousy can develop if that's changed.

Both birds need their own separate cages. They should be in the same room but the cages shouldn't be next to each other. Neither should feel threatened by the other. They'll start verbal communication when they think the time is right. They need to get used to the fact that another bird is nearby.

The most important thing here is to do all things ie feeding, changing water, giving treats with your established bird first. That lessens any perceived threats to being #1.

If your #1 is used to coming out of the cage all the time, continue that. Leave the other bird in the cage. This is temporary. If the new bird is used to coming out of the cage all the time, continue that but don't let them out at the same time. All of this will be temporary. The new caged bird can see the routine from a safe place. Lessen the amount of time that the new bird stays out of the cage because you need to learn all about the new bird and it's habits. Is he aggressive? Does he like to take off when approached? Does he behave when being retrieved? Constantly let one or the other out until it gets to be a routine. Then, with the cages apart, let both out at the same time. At that point both birds should be quite aware of the other's presence. Don't put the cages close together so that one has the ability to go after the other. This is temporary. They both need to feel that there's no threat and no surprise moves from each other. If you have a playstand that you use for the #1, it's best to get another one for the new grey. Putting the two birds together on one stand is only asking for trouble. That stand belongs to #1 and it should remain his and his alone. As with the cages, playstands should be kept apart but can be used by both birds at the same time. Only time will tell you the amount of friendship that will develop. Some learn to like each other from a distance. Others will like to be shoulder to shoulder. As time goes on and you see that the birds have no bad attitudes towards each other, you can then move the playstands closer and closer but it should be done in increments. Don't put any time limits on any of these things. With some birds it happens quickly; others, not so quickly. The most important thing here is you getting to know and learn about your new bird because it might be different than you heard when he was in another house.. It makes things easier to accomplish. Both birds have their own habits, likes and dislikes and you should be aware of them. That new bird might have some habits that have already developed so you should learn about them. Eventually, one bird learns to accept and like the other but how much is anyone's guess. Their personalities have a lot to do with getting along with each other. Take it real slow and easy with no time limits. Talk to both of them at the same time. Get the new bird comfortable not only with the Zon but also with you and your family and his new living conditions and family habits. These are the major starting steps in order to get 2 birds that aren't babies to accept each other.