NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Covering the cage

BlueCounty

Do you cover your Grey's cage whilst you are still awake?

Gizmo's cage is in the living room next to my TV which is on the wall and the only time I've covered his cage is when I go to bed at night.

This morning he was up at 7:30am and uncovered him so I dont want to leave him uncovered until around midnight when I'll be going to bed because he wont go to sleep whilst he's uncovered.

I'm just wondering if he will stay awake and get freaked by being covered up and the TV and lights still being on?

I know lots of people cover their birds at night, but I don't cover mine. I like them to be able to see what is going on around them so they don't get freaked out by something.

I think if you cover him at bedtime he'll adjust to the routine and figure out that means it is time to sleep. If the tv is loud it will probably disturb his sleep whether he is covered or not though. Just my opinion- do what works best for you!

My greys are in the living room where we stay up and watch tv. I cover them while we are watching tv, I put the covers over the top of the cages with the front open for about half an hour, this normally settles them then totally cover and dim the lights while we watch tv.

This works for us and they all settle and we dont have any problems with this. Its just getting in a routine which works for you and your bird.

Oliver has a sleeping cage in my bedroom-when it gets darkish, I put him that and cover him up. He seems to have adjusted well to the situation-when I come in later he'll whisper "hello" and go right back to sleep. He usually wakes up around 2 am for a big drink and a little nibble, then goes back to sleep till around 7 or 8.

When I didn't have a cover, I didn't feel like I could read in my own bedroom, and I hated that-now we are both happy.

We have a little routine-he goes in the cage for a bit, then I come in with his cover and cover it, we play peek a boo, and then that's it for the night. He does seem a lot happier since we started this-he used to have his big cage in my bedroom and would come out on a stand during the day. Now his cage is out in the front part of the house, and he loves it still, but he loves his sleeping cage too. My dogs are also crated at night, so an animal in the little square box at night is pretty normal for around here.

Hello,

It is highly suggested that your bird gets 10-12 hours undisturbed sleep at night . I think this means away from the TV viewing area. Our birds cages have rollers , so we move them at night or either go to our bedroom to watch TV . Our CAG likes to be covered and our Alexandrine does not .

I read where covering bird cages at night started because our homes cool down at night , and it keeps them warmer . So , it is up to you and your bird . I would try to move him into a quieter location .

Just a suggestion ...

My parrots have their own bedroom where their sleeping-cages are. In the evening, when I watch tv, they call me when it's their bedtime. When there is a programme that they like, they watch with me until they're no longer interested. Last Christmas "The sound of Music" was on tv, and we watched until the end of the programme, with the parrots singing along!

Watching tv with the parrots in a covered cage in the living room, wouldn't allow them enough rest.