NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sexing a CAG

onecentholt

Hi, this is my first post so bare w/ me. I have a 4yr. old CAG that I believe to be female. Though honestly Im not sure why. Grace was 13wks when she came home to our house and for some reason we all had taken the perspective that she was a female. Lately though she has been displaying qualities that seem more male..ie... dropping her wings and making ugh ugh noices,while prancing back and forth with feathers all puffed up?Is there any thing in physical or behavioral that untill I get blood tests could give me a good idea if we might have been wrong this whole time....Anyone else not gotten the DNA testing done right away only to find out that you were wrong the whole time....would that effect the way (he or she) FEELS ABOUT HERSELF?

I'll even consider ole wives tales..just to see what might make sence till I get the blood test done. Also when are they sexually mature I've heard four different things.

Guest Monique

Hi!! I'm not sure when Greys are sexually mature. But, I do know there really isn't any good way to tell if they're a boy or a girl without a blood test, DNA test, or exploratory test. OR if one of 'em lays an egg :cheer: then you can be certain it's a female. I'm sure there's lots of wive tales but I'm not privy to those either. :)

Hmmm, As far as I know DNA testing and/or an egg are only ways to know for certain. If it makes you feel any better, the first grey we adopted was given to us as a female ... we simply went with the flow and treated "her" accordingly ... 3 years later we found out she was a he :-) Apart from a few subtle nick name changes, we all adapted in time. It seems to me that as long as you treat your grey with love and patience, male or female, it's all good :-) Good luck!

Onecenthold, welcome to the forum B)

One 'old-wives tale' in this subject is the telling by the undertail coverts (around 10 feathers all together) - it is said that in males they're solid red while in females they're grey. I don't know the reliability of this old-wives-tale though ;)