NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Darcy in his new sleep hut!

Patsy

Because it's getting colder, I purchased a sleep hut for Darcy -- his cage is next to the wall that is all windows and while the room is the warmest in the summer, it is also the coldest in the winter. I was so proud of him. I wasn't sure he would explore the hut, so I started out putting a few toys in there. He would stick his head in and look. I ended up having to put a perch closer to the hut so he could really look inside.

Once there he took each toy and threw it out. I had cut a piece of flannel to line the bottom, and he threw that out too. Then he finally tried it. Here are a series of shots! DarcyheadinHut.JPG

DarcyheadinHut.JPG

I think Darcy goes in it at night, but I can't be sure because I do cover his cage at night -- so he is out on a perch when I put on the cover, and then by the time I take it off, he's out of it again. Casper, there is a great big one large enough for Macaws -- they could cuddle together. It took Darcy a long time before he would perch all night long -- he liked his blankies:lol: .

Those pictures are adorable! I bought a teepee hut for my grey and a smaller tent for my conure. Neither one will go in them or even close to them when they are up. :( It is so cute when they do.

I've read on other posts you need to check them regularly for loose strings, threads, etc that could potentially harm them or get a foot tangled or something.

Darcy looks like he is quite taken with it and having lots of fun in there. :) Those are great photos, too.

It may be that Darcy only goes in there during the day at times and sleeps on his boing. I need to determine a way to be able to check that. Unfortunatly, I always find him climbing over to be next to the door when I get up in the morning. It's good advice about the loose threads. I'll have to go in and check that out. Thanks for the advice.

I bought the hut at Windycityparrots.com. They are fabulous to work with. Within 10 minutes you get a reply that they have your order. Another few minutes and it is packed and shipped. Incredible service. Plus look for coupons on the main page. The only down side with this particular purchase is that I thought I was getting the color shown on the link below. Instead of Teal/cream I got Blue/pink. In case the link doesn't work for you, order a size Jumbo.

Prevue Pet 1165 Birdie Bedtime for Birds Parrots Ferrets - Jumbo Snuggle Sack

http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=12401102003&Category_Code=winter&Product_Count=8

That is so cute I wonder if my bigger birds would like a sleeping hut. My GCC loves his he actually lays down and streaches out in it at night its the cutest thing I've ever seen but I can't get a picture because as soon as I lift his blanket for more than a second he gets up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

LOL Like the sig by the way. I was actually thinking of getting this or something like it for Timber, so I'm really interested to see these pics. My biggest concern is that he would not go in it. He's very change averse, and anything new in the cage throws him off for a few days. It's great Darcy is so adventurous!