NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Noise!!!

casper

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know about other people who have a few birds like me and are joined on with their neighbours.

Have you had any complaints from them, if so what happened?

Now I have three greys, they have their moments a few times a day when they all start schreeching! Wow, what a racket they can make!

Each time I have gone to buy a new bird I have always gone to see them first, they have always said they dont mind a bit and even come to visit the birds sometimes.

I try to uncover them a bit later on a weekend so it gives the neighbours a lay in and when I am home the birds are out and they are normally quieter then.

I hope they dont complain and I dont know where I would stand with the noise!

I need to win the lottery and buy a big detatched house! But until I do, should I ask if everything is ok instead of worrying and maybe soundproof the walls!

Caroline;)

CAGs and TAGs are probably the quietest of most all medium sized parrots.In fact many people pick them because they make very little noise. Some squawking once in a while but mostly whistling and making all sorts of sounds to himself plus lots of grumbling.

If neighbors find the birds loud, do the neighbors a big favor and purchase a special item...go down to the nearest store and purchase a large newspaper that has many classified ads for different apts and give it to them. They'll be happy that you were nice enough to pay for the newspaper. If they don't want the newspaper simply use it for the birds cage trays.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/20 23:27

I guess I'm lucky- so far the only comments my neighbors make is that they like hearing my birds for one reason or another.

I like the newspaper idea though Dave- you are clever and your sense of humor keeps us all entertained out here in grey world...

I live in town and on the corner. I have told all my neighbors that I am getting a grey and they are all excited for me. But of course they are-- heh, heh,-- they all have loud dogs (my Lily is a pug and is very quiet, honestly) and since I don't complain how can they :evil: :silly: ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Not to my face..... One of the other residents in this complex has 3 U2s and they make so much noise Schroeder can't compete. I also take him outside in the afternoon and the kids get to say hi to him and pet him, so the parents aren't inclined to complain about an animal that makes their kids happy. I understand that Schroed is a bit more outgoing than most greys though, I doubt most grey owners would get away with that w/o traumatizing their bird. I think noise complaints are easy to avoid in condo and apt complexes by getting on friendly terms with your neighbors. Say hi, learn their names, ask them up for a beer or cookies once in a while. If people like you and your bird they won't complain and may even offer to birdsit when you are on vacation.

Jen,

They are good really. Its probably me worrying as I know all three can make a lot of noise especially in the morning and the evening.

One of the neighbours comes round for coffee and speaks to the birds, the other said she has asthma and cant come near them.

Each time I have gone to buy one of my greys I have always checked with them first so I think I have tried to do everything I can. Maybe I will try and involve them a bit more!

They do come and check on them as well if I have to go out, for example last week they heard them more than usual when I had gone out, they were straight round with the spare key to see they were okay.

If they did have a problem I would soundproof the walls for them.

Caroline:)

Before you decide to get a macaw, make sure you put down security on another apartment/flat/house. Besides the terribly loud noise, you'll also need another area in thehouse to put the macaw in. Macaws have very sensitive nasal passages and can't handle the dander of a grey or cockatoo.

Well, it can be checked out. The nasal passages are very sensitive and they get respirtory problems from greys and TOOs. I didn't make it up. That info has been around for years. If not in another room, then a far distance from each other. The greys are louder than the macaws? That's extremely unusual too. Greys are well known for being quiet. That's why many people in apartments find them appealing.

shazbaby36

Just one of many aricles concerning Macaws and respiratory problems

Author--- Rebecca Sweat

Some birds are sensitive to dust and dander from other birds

Some bird species are more sensitive to the dust and danger from other birds. Courtesy Michelle Testa, Georgia

Not only can bird dust cause respiratory problems in people, it can also have a similar effect on other birds in the household. Birds with the avian version of allergic alveolitis are not having a reaction to their own powder, but to the proteins in the feather dust from another bird in the house. Any bird can develop this disease, but New World species, particularly macaws, seem to be the most sensitive, especially if they are sharing airspace with cockatiels, cockatoos or African greys.

No one knows for certain why New World species are more susceptible to this condition, but Larry Nemetz, DVM, a birds-only veterinarian in Southern California, theorizes that the Old World species like cockatiels, cockatoos and African greys have proteins that New World species are not used to. Furthermore, macaws in particular may be more sensitive due to their large nostrils. “Being that they have big nostrils, they inhale more powder and get more allergen exposure,” he asserted.

Just as with people, birds with allergic alveolitis may start out wheezing and coughing. If the condition is diagnosed and addressed early on, the bird’s breathing will probably return to normal, but even then, it may very well need to be moved to a new home — free of other birds, said Washington state avian veterinarian Cathy Johnson-Delaney, DVM.

If the problem is allowed to go on, the bird’s entire respiratory tract can shut down, and the bird can die. There are also cardiac problems associated with this in some cases. “As the bird loses his ability to exchange air, his blood pressure goes up and he goes into secondary heart failure because of the increased pressure he’s experiencing from trying to breathe,” Johnson-Delaney explained. The condition is so serious that she advises against macaws living in the same airspace with cockatoos, cockatiels and African greys.

This is an interesting thread and lead to the pursuance of facts and information regarding allergic alveolitis.

Interestingly enough, it is not only seen in humans, but New World Parrots, as Dave has stated. One thing to note on this Allergy, is some humans and some parrots are thought to be possibly genetically predisposed to it and others will never experience an allergic reaction to Dander. However, any human or parrot that does in fact have allergic alveolitis, will also be hyper-sensitive to and suffer from mold spores, bird droppings Etc.

This allergy decreases lung capacity and causes impaired diffusion of air through the alveoli of the lungs.

So the answer here is, some Macaws and Humans MAY prove to become allergic to birds dander and some will never have a problem with it at all.

Things can be so both humans and macaws can live with other dander producing parrots. Purchase an air purifier and humidifier, they will both greatly reduce the airborne dander. Mist and shower your parrots 2 or 3 times a week, which will keep dander to a minimum.

As with all allergies, some people and macaws may be hyper-sensitive and will not be able to tolerate any other bird in the household due to the serious health affects the dander has upon them, which would lead to death.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/11/16 13:50

I think it's a matter of temporary vs. long term housing. Pet stores are generally short term arrangements for the birds.

It also depends on room size and ventilation. I have a friend with both. Her bird room is very large and she has a HEPA air filter.

I just got a Severe Macaw I Keep him in the dining room which is 2 rooms away from my cockateils and African Grey I try to bath my birds at least three times a week and I have 2 large airfilters that run continuiously I don't want anybody getting sick from bird dander in my house. I like Judy live in the middle of no where so I don't have to worry about my neighbours complaining. There is at least 3 acres between me and my neighbour and he has cows and chickens so I don't think he will be complaining about a few bird. The Steller Jays outside are way louder than my birds could ever hope to be.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/11/16 22:38

• 1 month later...

I dont think Greys are anywhere as noisy as Macaws

I had a Green wing who used to scream his head off like an extra from Jurassic park lol..excuse possible spelling error there it is 1.30 am

My grey that I had prior to Elvis would spend hours in his avairy outside in the summer..one day my ex partner was raking the shingle in the drive and a rather snooty lady came by, Charley my Grey, wolf whistled at her

Her not seeing the parrot assumed that it was my ex partner which I found hysterical..I dont think she did!

Im sure your neighbours hear next to nothing Caroline

youre such a lovely person anyway I doubt they would have an issue with it:)

Ringside seat please for the next Shazbaby36 and Dave007 round