NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

quite shocking

di2008

:ohmy: i have just watched monty totally destroy a parrot treat( a vitacraft twinis) he has had hanging on his java tree for a couple weeks. up till now he didnt seem interested but i was playing with it with him and he decided he liked it. as he got thorugh the bread type thing he noticed the wood it was attatched too and started to chew on that(because wood is more tasy than treats obviously:unsure: :lol: ) and the to my horror i saw a staple wich attatched the wire to the wood, i was horrified that these should be used in the way, the other treats he's had have neen moulded around plastic.. surley they know that the parrot will have a go at chewing the wood once he's found it??? good job i was watching him:angry: :( here's a pic of what i found.

wire.jpg

this is the treat

twinis.jpg

the wire is very sharp too..

thought i'd just mention it incase any other people give these to their birds, please supervise them..

this wasn't a toy EFGRIFFITH this was a food treat, and a well known name here in the uk too, needless to say i shan't be buying any more of them...just keep your eyes peeled guys :blink:

Post edited by: di2008, at: 2008/10/22 14:33<br><br>Post edited by: di2008, at: 2008/10/22 15:32

i have just email vitakraft about this food product with the staple in, i just cant get if off my mind, im not very good at writing letters but i'll let you know what they say.. he's a copy if you want to read it

to who it may concern 22/10/08

please forgive me as I am not much use at writing letters but just wanted to voice my opinion..

this is to do with a vitakraft product I recently purchased of a supplier online.

this product is the vitakraft twinis.

I am an owner of a 7 month old African Grey for whom I bought this item, he wasn't interested at first but as my parrot ( Monty) began to discover a taste for this item he, in five minutes, more or less totally destroyed it. I sat and watched in amazement at the fun he was having and thought I must buy more of these.

As I sat and watched I noticed he had gotten down to the wood that runs through the middle of this bread/cake type bar, I was not worried at this because he likes ( as do all parrots) to chew wood.. I was then horrified to see that there was a metal staple attaching the wood to the hanging wire, which he was obviously trying to remove too, I would hate to think what could have possible happened had I not been there watching him, he certainly would have had that staple out in no time..

Can I just ask why you find it necessary to attach the food products in this way??. other brands attach it by moulding it around plastic!!?I think is absolutely disgusting and could have seriously harmed my baby grey.

I am trying to inform as many people as possible to the danger this product, I am on a forum and have done a post on there and many many people who will not now be buying this or any products that look to be attached in the same way, I definitely will not.

I shall also email the company from where it was bought it to let them know just what type of goods you are providing.

If only one parrots get injured buy these horrendous treats then that will be one to many,

I cannot possibly see past the stupidity of attaching a food item to something with a staple????

I have photo evidence if you want me to email it to you, I didn't enclose it in this email and some people just delete things with an attached file.

yours very angrily

Mrs Pyatt

My goodness! Thank you for the heads up Mrs Pyatt. I hope Vitakraft take note of your letter. They must realize that a metal staple would cause serious injury to a parrot.

One of Mistys favorite toys is a rolled up newspaper or old magazine suspended by a cord from his perching tree. I always make sure to remove any staples.

Steve n Misty

In the US the honey treat sticks are put together the same way. Dorian loves them, but when she gets down to the wood I usually pull it out, remove the staple and wire and give it back to her to finish off. I guess the moral is.....if there is wire as a hanger there is probably a staple in there somewhere :( . Glad you were able to spot it in time!

hi ev1 just had this reply to my email and here is a copy of my responce to it too...

Your email regarding the Parrot Twinis Treat has been forwarded to my attention.

We are sorry how upset you are with the way this product is manufactured and I have passed your email to our Quality Control in Germany. You can be assure, this will be reviewed by them. Other than that, right now there is no more I can do for you.

But I would be happy to send you some other types of Vitakraft treats for your Parrot as a courtesy.

Please forward me your home mailing address.

Thank you,

Natalie Farry

Administrative Assistant

Vitakraft Sun Seed Inc.

800-237-3324 x 10

732-560-7499 Fax

Hello May I thank you for your swift response, and will you please keep me informed as what is going to happen with these bird treats, How something such as a metal staple can be used in a food product is just beyond comprehension. I have not put a complaint in to gain free gifts, i have a genuine concern for other parrots and what could happen to them, any birdsafe parrot treats you wish to send will be gratefully recieved and I shall find my local bird rescue centre and pass them on.