NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

MBS Limit, and an extremely worth rescue org

goldn1

Well, I wasn't for sure we were getting our new Blue and Gold Macaw until we met her on Friday. Her old name was Captain, her new name is Sammy (works for a girl or a boy). Our journey to each other apparently started with her being let loose TWICE by her former owner, they left her in a tree until the humane society finally came and rescued her from there. They held her for a month and no one ever came to claim her. They eventually put her picture and info on Petfinders and I saw it the first day and called them to inquire about her. They wanted $500 because she was a macaw, not because they had invested anything in her (which REALLY ticks me off). I fell in love with her the instant I saw her, I was pretty sure I wanted a greenwing macaw at that point, she changed my mind QUICK.

The humane society never called me back, so I gave up hope of getting her and started looking around again and resigned myself to getting a different macaw. I had been talking to Dana from The Wing Foundation for several months and she was keeping an eye out for a sweet macaw for us.

A week after I inquired about Sammy Dana emailed me and started telling me this sad story about a blue and gold macaw.....she didn't tell me the name or where she got it but I KNEW it was Captain/Sammy. As I read on, she confirmed it!! She couldn't believe it either when I told her. We agreed that it was fate and she had to come to us as soon as possible. I think I've been like any other new adoptive mom, excited out of my mind and scared to death that something would happen to change the outcome.

I couldn't hardly sleep Thursday night, and I was up at 5:30 a.m. Friday even though we weren't leaving until 8 a.m....lol. We drove 2 hours and when we arrived I was ready to scoop her up and run out the door with her. We could hear all the birds from outside when we pulled up, but I still wasn't prepared for what I saw when I went in. Dana has macaws, greys, amazons, toos, you name it.

Her life and home are devoted to these magnificent creatures we all love so much. I don't know which took my breath away more, the hyacynith that Sammy was in love with or the Black Palm too that was soooo gorgeous in person. She has birds in almost every room alot of them are very sweet, although she was amazed that we were able to handle some that wouldn't go to anyone else but HER.

She even took us in the room where her personal flock is kept and she has a too that would convince almost anyone that is on the fence that they don't want one THAT BAD. Thought we were going to go deaf from that bird!

I can't even describe to you how amazing it was to see some of those birds up close and personal that I never expected to see in real life, and how sad it was that so many birds are out there that need us. I swear if I win the lottery I am buying a huge house and rescuing as many birds as I possibly can.

So, now with our grey, blue crown conure, green cheek conure and our big beautiful blue and gold macaw we are full. I am done getting birds until I feel like we have more space, time, and attention to give and that's going to be a while.

Sammy is the sweetest macaw, she's apparently still pretty young (1-2 years they think) and beaky. But she'll let me pet and scratch her until my arm falls off...lol. She also like to use her tongue alot. She's already scared the blue crown half to death by going visiting cause he had a manzanita perch she wanted to chew on, and I think he's finally decided as long as I can save him from HER I'm not tooooo bad...lol.

She's taken to everyone here, and we've all taken to her. She's the final piece to our family puzzle and I couldn't be happier!

If any of you live in or near San Franciso, CA and are in the market for a rescue from someone who is in it for the birds please consider The Wing Foundation and Dana.

Here's a picture of Sammy and I'll post some of the others in a little bit.

Have a greyt day! MyImage_183_B.JPG

MyImage_183_B.JPG

Wow what a beauty she is and I love the name Sammy She is absolutly gorgous. And the black palm too is really something to behold. Very pretty birds Its goo you have a heart for the rescues. I also love them I am just in the process of rescuing a Severe Macaw. I don't know if you have seen my posts yet. Good for you I'm glad you got Sammy. I have to wait 2 weeks to get my bird. that when my freind is comeing dowm to Vancouver to deliver him to me. I'm absolutly going crazy I can't sleep I'm worried something going to happen and the deal will fall through I know exactl what you were going through I'm going through it myself.

Sammy is gorgeous, but I may be a little biased....hehehe. She's in perfect feather and she's obviously been well fed for the last month or so anyway.

They thinks she's so young because of the eye color (light grey blue) and because there isn't a single scratch or flake on her beak....it looks very babyish.

The black palm was amazing....and so sweet! Poor thing had had it's lower beak torn off somehow and Dana has had it rehabing for several months, she's almost back to normal now. I keep trying to convince her the hyacinth needs to come home with me since he and Sammy are IN LOVE, but somehow she isn't convinced {Feel-good-0002006E}. He's one that she is keeping for her own! As far as I can see that's one of the problems with running a rescue, you get them all better and then you don't want to give them up lol!

Pat, I did see your posts about your severe macaw. I'm sure with your love and attention and some patience he'll be great. Congrats on rescuing him!

Thanks all, I'll post more pics soon!

What a great story and I can tell you have a BIG heart and lots of love for these feathered friends of yours. Sammie is just a beauty, and I'm so happy she has found a good forever home.

Thanks for sharing those photos with us too, the black palm is a very cool looking bird, but I'd be scared by that big beak I must admit.

I'm sending karma your way for adopting a bird that really needed a good home.

Jen,

Thanks!

That black palm was the calmest bird, as long as I didn't try to pet her she'd have sat there forever I think. I can't even explain what it felt like to have her inches from my face.

I think I'm more afraid of our blue crown's needle like beak.....for some reason I'm not nearly as afraid of the big beaks, although I've got a nasty bruise on my arm thanks to Miss Sammy already! Thankfully she only bites when she's scared of falling.....it's more a hanging on thing than an anger reaction.

Domingo the hyacynith was HUGE, but very skittish and wouldn't let us anywhere near him really.

Thanks for the karma :).

Pam, those are all beautiful birds your friend has in her house, what a delight to have all those colorful parrots and Sammy is adorable and you should be congratulated on being able to get him finally.

You do have a big heart and I hope you do win the lottery and build a huge house for all the birds you want to rescue.

Thanks so much for sharing this story and the pictures with us, you are such a godsend for this bird.

Sammy is just gorgeous. Congradulations on your new family member. I loved the pictures you shared with us. Thank you. The black palm is so neat. I just watched a TV show and they were talking about them. I think they are very rare. On the program they showed them breaking small branches and playing the drums to get the interest of the females.:)

I have 2 rehomed birds (grey&ekkie) and 1 lost conure that we took in. I feel the same way as you. I would love to have a larger home and turn it into a rescue.

Was that a solid blue eclectus in one of those photos?

Congradulations again on Sammy. It was fate.;)

I missed the show on the Black Palm, but one of the gals at work saw it and was telling me about it. Funny how I had just held one!

I'm not sure which bird you mean.....the only solid blue one I see is the hyacinth macaw next to Sammy on the cage. Which picture are you asking about?

I'm afraid Pete would leave me if I even suggested doing a rescue......although he's as big a softie as I am, he just blusters about it first, hehe. For now, it's a dream, maybe after I win the lottery and retire, lol.

My daughter's cockatiel is the only bird we bought without a sad story or as a rescue. They all have their own issues, but we love them all anyway and I feel blessed to be able to give a home to the ones we have.

My hope is that someday rescues are as well publicized as breeders are, they both fill a roll but more people should know where they can go for help if they can't keep their bird. Especially in California there are a lot of birds just released because for the most part the weather is mild enough for the birds to survive for a while. It's really quite sad.

Anyway, I am happy to share the pics with everyone. Wish I could take you all there to experience it....pics don't hardly do it justice!

Sammy is beautiful. I'm so glad it worked out that it was the same bird! Aren't rescues wonderful? We have one here in town (a rescue and sanctuary) -- Their house is also full of birds - mostly larger ones, and then down the road a bit, another house that keeps the cockatoos and the small birds. They have about 80 birds total. Some will stay in the sanctuary forever. You are so wonderful to have adopted Sammy.

Go win that lottery!