NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Soundproofing the bird room

TinyTimneh

hey all,

well, because i've made a promise to my birds that they will never be rehomed (and I will hold true to this), i've begun wondering sbout ye old noise factor.

My exisisting three aren't too loud (the South American parakeet outscreams them both) and where I am noise is not a problem. My housemates tolerate it. BUT, obviously I will be moving out on my own at some point, most likely to an appartment. I am aware that in this scenario, my birds might/will be considered loud and I might face fines/eviction/having to sell my feathered babies. So, adding to behavioural modification etc., I want to soundproof the bird room. Obviously I want to make sure this is as cheap for me and safe for them as possible. I cannot tear down/modify the existing walls/drywall etc. So any ideas/websites for me to check out?

Added to this the potential fourth bird to my flock (white-front amazon... or get this... possible (emphasis on possible) umbrella cockatoo that's in a rescue near my place) will be very loud, with screaming problems and natural loudness.

""""""Obviously I want to make sure this is as cheap for me and safe for them as possible. I cannot tear down/modify the existing walls/drywall etc.""""""

There's two types of noise reduction and they are almost always confused with each other. All noise reduction and soundproofing are not alike. Noise absorption is not noise reduction. You would need to choose what's best for your requirements.

Noise Reduction is achieved by stopping it, killing it, not letting the noise get through the wall or window. Stop the noise before it gets to you, or into the room you are in. For this you use mass and space. You can build heavy walls with large air spaces and you maximize dampening as best you can.

Noise absorption is achieved by changing the characteristic of the noise. Stopping it from echoing. Stopping the reverberation. Stopping the noise reflections. All this involves handling the noise that is within the room. It seldom involves noise from outside the room. You've probably heard of a room as being a “live” room or a “dead” room. For this type of noise reduction or soundproofing you will use carpets, upholstered furniture, acoustical ceiling tile, soundboard or interior walls.

What works for noise absorption doesn't ever work for noise reduction. Soundboard is useless at stopping noise. When put up with the sheetrock it is useless unless it is the outside layer and it is being used for noise absorption sound control.

So if you decide to do it yourself and go with noise reduction, it will still cost quite a bit of money and more than likely the walls will be partially affected and altered. If you get it done professinally, it will cost even more.

If you go with noise absorption, the items that are needed are not the items normally found in a birdroom. The items used here will also be expensive unles you can possibly buy them used.

PS--if soundproofing is important to you, you may want to rethink getting a very loud bird such as the cockatoo. The animal is not only loud but constantly loud all day. Maybe, that extreme loudness may make it necessary to put him back in the rescue center. The bird will do better in a home where the people will expect and can handle that type of situation without soundproofing. The large majority of TOOs are in shelters because of loudness,self mutilation and aggressiveness. The one you named is well known for loudness.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/19 05:10

• 1 year later...

try carpet tiles i`m a floor layer and once i had a guy take the old ones from me as he played in a band and wanted them to deaden the noise. sticking them you may have to use double sided tape as glue may smell the room out!! not good for birds. But if you can`t mess with the walls this might be a prob!

Edited by Lex

One of the safest and easiest ways to noise absorption is with "Bird Safe Live and fake plants" these really work well. Check a listing to find out which ones are right for you, when you move, you take them with you.....All birds can be noisy, some need more work than others..http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/safeplants.htm Ficus [fig] are easy to care for.....Jayd

I worry about this to some extent as well. We live in a townhouse and Tui's cage is right at the wall to our neighbors home. Thankfully there is cement between the walls but sound does travel when its loud enough. Tui has started knocking on the wall and saying "who's there". While, this is hilarious, I am sure the neighbors are wondering who is always hammering at the wall LOL. He also has bouts of really loud screaming that we are trying to ignore. I really hope we don't get any complaints!

When you move, look for a place with cement in the walls if possible, it really does help with the noise. It has to be pretty loud to hear sounds from next door unless they are pounding on the wall or shouting.

If you don't want the birds to be too noisy, don't take care of too many at the same time. I love the sound of the birds especially the love birds, I feel so relax with it. I just love the chirping of the birds, it gives you a feel of nature.

Edited by joshua.alvin