NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey is not friendly---biting problem

Hawaiisheila

I read on a website that supposedly, biting problems are the easiest to tame...Do I really need to spend the money on these videos claiming to stop biting...does anyone have a CAG that bites? Is it possible to get him to stop biting...He only allows us to look at him, refuses to go on my finger UNLESS he is on the ground, then he will allow me to pick him up--other than that I have been using a stick to get him off his cage so he doesnt bite. Then I have to watch him every second because he'll try to bite my face if I get too close. I have had him for a month and a half and he seems not to like me or anyone for that matter...but I am determined to provide a safe loving environment for him...any suggestions appreciated.

B)

Guest Monique

All parrots bite. You are not alone. Sounds like yours is biting way too much, though ... that it is a habit.

Here is a great article on biting.

http://www3.upatsix.com/liz/articles/biting.html

I don't recommend ever having a parrot by your face. They are just like little kids and they may not bite for years and then they could really injure you.

Hey sheila,

I thought you might like a bit of consolation - when I first adopted Casper about 6 months ago he drew blood on a regular basis, but using training such as the laddering you were talking about, he now steps up like a star. Remember that he's probably biting because he was mistreated before you got him, not because of anything you've been doing wrong. If you're anything like me you'll probably find this hard to believe, but from experience, keep the faith, and keep at it - it'll pay off!

Julia

He was about 18 months old. He'd been living with a young family, who obviously cared for him, but I don't think they know what they were letting themselves in for. He hadn't been handled much, and had never had any training - they said they didn't have enough time. He learnt to speak when he was very young - and the way that he tells himself to shut up when he squwaks (sp?!) suggests that he got shouted at a lot for just being a parrot. He was also very aggressive when my friends came to visit. Does any of this sound familiar?

Julia

Yes sounds familiar..lol...I brought him to visit family and he could not be bothered by anyone. although I finally figured out that I have to handle him more. Seems when I hold him on my hand and type on computer with other(homework) he just hangs out and seems to behave a little better. Although he does not speak as your does, he whistles and once in a blue moon he will make a sound like 'hello'. I hear him mumbling though I think he is trying to speak. I have only had him a month and a half and he is about two years old...The vet said it was hard to tell his age, but my grey still has silver in his eyes, they arent yellow...so I am assuming he is under 3.

I am lucky because my grey does allow me to give him head scratches, . when I tell him "up" he leans his head forward for a head scratch, then will try to bite if I persist with the 'up'. I guess its his way of maintaing control.

for training sessions I have been using a stick and he goes right on it...its like they know--he does not hesitate at all to go on the stick. but if its my hand he will try to bite. so I use the stick then he will go onto my hand without biting...

I'm reading a book right now called "The Beak Book" by Sally Banchard and it is just great! It is all about birds that bite and why and how to figure out why your birds and the best way to remedy the situation. I wish I had this book years ago!

Actually, none really.:S I use to have a severe macaw that turned "mean" to my husband. She would actually chase him to go and bite him. We had this saying "shark in the water" which meant that the bird was out and about and to run for cover. It really wasn't funny and my husband finally had enough so I gave her away to a great person who had other birds but I miss her dearly. That was years ago. I wish I had this book back then. I saw the mistakes we made and I do believe that I would still have her if we had read this book. I have put money down on a CAG. I should be getting him or her the end of July. I've bought all kinds of books and this book came by mistake and you what?...as I'm reading the book, I'm realizing that it is the best mistake that could ever have happened. It is like the Universe is saying to me "here, this is what you do next time." After reading this book I am fully confident that this little CAG will be with us for the rest of our lives.

It really is THAT GOOD of a book!

Wow! That's some kind of recommendation B) Good for you and I'm also happy for you. Now -in case your grey will bite- you are prepared and know what to do.

I hope you will pass on some of that advice here as well :blush: so more members can enjoy that knowledge.

The most important thing to remember when trying to train your grey from not biting is to never yell. Yelling is "loudness" but you do need to say in a low firm voice "NO". Best way to describe this is how we might yell at our kids in public discretely. You use a firm voice but you are not "yelling" at them.

Naw, not really! I'm probably just catching up on everything that everyone else already knows. :P I guess the book just affected me so strongly because it made me see all the mistakes we had made with Rico. We were trying to solve the biting as if the biting was the problem. Biting is just a symptom. It's the cause of the biting that one has to learn to fix. You fix the cause... the symptom of biting goes away. At least the whole book resonates with me as being right on. Also, I get excited easily :)

Yeah, that's a good conclusion I think: the biting is just a symptom.

Don't worry about getting excited easily, so am I ;)

I think it's great you read answers now to things that made you problems in the past so you will be confident enough when you will have your new bird.