NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

going to the vet

Gryphon

Hi all,

I'm wondering what your opinion is on taking Gryphon to the vet. He is rehomed and just came to us on Saturday. He does seem to be settling in well but I don't want to overload him with new experiences and a vet trip can be overwhelming.

He hasn't been to the vet in over a year and then it was just a physical; no blood work, no gram stain. Of course, I am anxious to get this done, especially since I don't yet know his behavior well enough to recognize early signs of illness, but I'm concerned about his mental well being. He hasn't even come out of the bird room for more than a few minutes so there's a lot of adjusting to be done yet.

What would you do?

Thanks and sorry to be question obsessed! He just went back in his cage and started snoozing. I don't know his normal schedule so I don't know if this is a cause concern or just a normal Gryph habit.

Stephanie

http://world-bird-sanctuary.blogspot.com/

Stephanie, since he has not been seen by an avian vet in over a year I would make an appointment to take him in, he needs a well check, they will check his blood and overall condition.

For some greys it can be a stressful thing for them but you won't know it until you try. My Josey does just fine when I take her in and most will if the vet knows what they are doing.

Hi, I rehomed a grey this past summer and he needed a nail trim desperately. Every time I had him perched on my hands or arm the nails would scratch and draw blood. They were like razors. Anyway, I called for an appointment and she recommended that I wait about 1 month untill he got settled in somewhat. Rehoming is stressful on them and they are so unsure of everything when they go to a new home so and a trip anywhere can be stressful too depending on the bird. I waited the month, took him in and he was the best birdie ever but if you feel he really needs a vet check right away I would take him in.

You could also call the vet and get his professinal opinion. I would ask to speak to the dr directly or have him call you when he has the chance or after hours.

It is not unusual for my grey to take naps off and on during the day. Seems to be part of his afternoon routine:)

Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/10/14 21:08<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/10/14 21:12