NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Would you be brave enough?

Ajilon

To cut apart a $2700 stainless steel cage?

I found an ad a weeks ago in my local classifieds for a stainless steel macaw cage made by Animal Environments. It retails for $2690 on their website and is absolutely fabulous! The guy that owned it moved and couldn't find a spot for it in his house. He needed somehting smaller, so reluctantly he was letting this one go. His original ad started out asking $800 (which was still a reasonable price) but I just couldn't swing that right now. I kept watching it and slowly the price kept dropping until it he'd finally listed it again for $380. I couldn't let that go. We tried diligently to work out schedules for me to pick up the cage. When it came time, he explained that he needed a cage for his macaw and wanted to know if I had one I wasn't planning to use anymore. He stressed that he didn't want to let it go until he at least had something to put his bird in, even though the cage wasn't in use at the moment and the bird was just perched. I did have a cage and was planning to pass it down to one of my other macaws, but admittedly, I was never happy with the quality of it. It was just cheaply made compared to my Kings cages. I I offered him that one as a trade and emailed him pictures of mine. I was shocked when he called me back and offered to take $100 off the price of his cage in exchange for mine. It didn't take long before I was there with mine to swap! $280 + a cheap cage for a stainless steel cage worth almost $3000!!!

I get it home and guess what? It doesn't fit! It's way too big and fully welded! I didn't know what to do but I was determined to get this thing cleaned up and in my house. It took until 3 am but we did it. I cut the dome top off and made it completely detachable. This meant cutting through some of the frame. Then I cut and sanded all the weld joints on the side, front and back, drilled holes into the frame and reassembled it with stainless steel bolts.

It's gorgeous!!! I cannot believe I have this thing in my house. It's HUGE. The cage measures H73" x W44" x D28". The inside dimensions are H58" x W44" x D28". My macaw looks like a parakeet. And she's furious! She wants her little cage back. I could have fit 2 of hers in this one!

I'll have to get pictures for you guys later today.

Gina

I did get a great deal and I absolutely LOVE it!!!!

here's LOTS of pictures with details.

Her cage looks SO empty! I didn't get a chance to bolt the dome top back on yet, but you can kinda see in the pictures where it bolts together now. Most of the weld joints are undetectable. I have a few more I need to sand but I'm kinda tired. My hands hurt. Joey HATES the cage. She's never had so much space in her life and she's been snapping and biting all day. The only thing I don't like about it is the limitation on placing her toys where I want them. I need to find a way to rig up her swing so it's not too far or too close to the bars. She's used to grabbing the bars to make it swing and she can't now. It's just too deep. I thought about putting it diagonally so she can grab the corner at least.

You can see how wide the door is. In time, she'll appreciate that I can put her back in her cage without beating her tail. P1000869.jpg

She has more room than ever. I was in the cage with her last night trying to calm her down and getting used to it. It's a big adjustment for such a little girl.

P1000871.jpg

Everything is so detailed. You can ALMOST see a macaw in here. It'll give you an idea of how deep it is. She's sitting on her swing, which is hanging from the first of 3 sections. of the dome:

P1000867.jpg

Here's the seed skirt. I opted not to put it on. I never did think they were very useful. Just something extra to clean.

P1000865.jpg

The food bowls are one handed and spring loaded. you slide them into the slot and they pop up in place automaticaly. There's 4 of them in total and from what I gather, quite costly to replace, though being stainless, I don't see where you'd ever have to replace them.

P1000872.jpg

More details: Even the catch pan has their imprint on it. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to use this with walnut shell though. It's textured and raised. I never did like using newspaper, but I might have to unless someone else has some ideas. I was thinking of cutting a piece of plexiglass. The tray is pretty thick ABS plastic and fairly deep. It's easy to clean, but who wants to pull the tray and clean it every day? I liked the walnut seed I was using.

P1000873.jpg

All of these cages have their own serial number. Though, I can't imagine anyone stealing this out of my house. It takes 2 men to lift it.

P1000875.jpg

Here's where I cut the frame. I haven't gotten to sanding that yet, but plan to and I'm going to put end caps in the holes so the seam comes together nicer. God I hated doing this! I still can't believe I cut up a $3000 cage! My friend Candi almost had a stroke when I started cutting it. This is her dream cage.

P1000879.jpg

These are the bolts that I used to reassemble it. I thought they looked nice and not at all a whack together job. I didn't want to take away any of the beauty of the cage.

P1000876.jpg

OMG, your Macaw does look like a parakeet in that cage{Feel-good-0002006E} But wow, what a fantastic cage. I can't believe you only paid $280 for it. That was a steal. That cage will last a life time, too.

She will love it in time and learn her way around. It's probably like moving to a new house and getting used to it. Everythings a little wierd at first but just think of all the new things she will be able to do in there:) .

You did a great job on putting it back together. The bolts look like they came with it, too. I am impressed with your handiwork{Feel-good-000200BB}

That a beautiful cage its the same size as the cage I have for Tyco but hers isn't stainless steel its gat simalar features as that and the bars are nice and thick like that but hers is just a high quality pownder coat. I got a great deal on her cage I thought I got it for 100. it also doesn't come apart its all one piece but You can't beat Stainless steel Tycos cage costs about 1200 to buy it new but a 3000. cage for a 180. and a swap wow what a deal Good for you I'd love to have a cage like that for Fergie or any of my birds for that matter. Good for you Your lucky you grab it when you did.

• 2 weeks later...