NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

beak problem

betsyboop

I was wondering if anybody else has this problem about a grey's beak as our's is overgrown and needed trimmed on a regularly basis he has a problem growing to quick and when he sees the vet he has to put him under anesthectic once or twice a year and I am wondering if anybody else has this problem.

Im thinking you may want to try and find another vet, a vet propery trained to work with birds should be able to towel the nastiest of birds. Anesthetics are not very good for birds and ive heard of some not coming out of it again...in emergency situations its understandable but for a beak trim... Im not trying to be rude so please dont think I am. Its just that that doesnt even sound safe to me..

i agree with MommaFawkes. Maybe you should search for another vet if possible. Just curious, is it an avian vet you are taking him too?

I have had 2 of my birds beak trimmed. They do it at the pet store that I go to. They specialize in birds and fish only. They wrap them in a towel and it only takes a couple minutes and they are done:) It only costs me $8 to get their beaks trimmed they do not put them under. I would be worried about that. :huh:

I had a local vet for my dog and cat and it seemed like thay wanted to make simple things very difficult and I really think they just wanted my $$$. I don't go there anymore and I am much happier.

I have also heard that it is not even necessary to trim a birds beak because they do it naturally themselves. My birds beaks were pretty long when I had them trimmed but I don't know if it was necessary or not. I just put my trust in the lady who owned the store. I would like to know more about if you should or shouldn't trim a beak because I really don't know. The birds did look better afterwards and it might have helped them eat better but I'm not sure.

Beak trimming is neccesary in some cases, as is anesthesia and must be carefully evaluated by a knowledgeable Avian vet.

Here is a good article on beak trimming:

http://www.birdchannel.com/bird-diet-and-health/bird-grooming/pros-and-cons-feather-trim.aspx?cm_sp=InternalClicks-_-RelatedArticles-_-bird-diet-and-health/bird-grooming/pros-and-cons-feather-trim

The tip of the upper beak should come just about even with the lower part of the beak where it meets with the birds body (sort of like the chin). Look at the bird from the side when they have their head level. If the beak is right about that length then no trimming should be done. Most birds do not need and should not have their beaks or nails trimmed as they care for these themselves. Proper beak and nail length is important for their eating, climbing and overall ability to perch securely. Some birds may have overgrowth problems but it is actually rather rare, again as they file/trim themselves and keep them in check through use of wood and other chew toys. Hope that helps a bit. Make sure you see an Avain vet if you are concerned and want the best advice.<br><br>Post edited by: dblhelix, at: 2008/10/14 16:41

I've had a few birds over the years that had problems with their beaks and the avian vet told me it was a nutritional problem. They had to be trimmed but she didn't put them to sleep to do it. (they weren't greys)

Try offering more wood toys for the bird to play with and also perhaps try to improve the diet with more fruits and vegetables. Also, you may want to provide a concrete perch because sometimes they wipe their beaks on those and it helps file it down a little.

Our Sparky has a beak problem also it grows to quick,I thought it was his food but not,the avian vet says it is a problem and he has to go 2 to 3 times a year for it to trimed and also to get anaesthectic to and personally I do not like that.Sparky has this problem since we have had him we have tried everything ie.chewing on wood,toys but no joy.

I do wing/nail/beak trimming at my store and trust me, most of the birds that come in know what they are there for and fight us tooth and nail. We have never had to tell someone to take their bird to the vet and get put under for trimming, so I don't know why there are so many vets that do it. I know it's a risk I would never take for Elmo, and my vet would never think of asking me too ether.

hi there yes it is an avian vet we do have it is because of his tongue he doesn't keep it in afraid.The last time we took he did a great job for us but the anaesthic was bad on him he did not know where he was and dopey for a long while I hate it,but once he came round he was fine he did not talk for a while,they are the best in Scotland here we only have two avian vets here so that is the problem here.