NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

feather plucking

minnow

any ideas on improving feather condition? i've tried to switch my bird to harrison's pelleted food and he will not eat it. i've heard adding 20 mule team borax to his bath water will help, but i'm afraid to try it. has anyone tried it? any ideas????:unsure:

Hi Minnow, welcome here B)

I've never heard of Borax being added to the bath water - but I know adding aloe vera gel (and only gel or juice, not in any other substance) to the water you spray your grey with seems to work pretty well.

Aloha Minnow,

Chloe and Piper are on Harrison's and have done remarkably well with it ... what was your approach in making the switch? Did you try incorporating power treats? It was a tough transition month for Chloe, very gradual, but it eventually came down to who was more stubborn :-) Both enjoy showers and baths but I've never had to add a thing to promote feather health. Harrison's has seemed to work from the source, inside out, for overall health. My two cents :-) Good luck!

estream,

thanks so much for your 2 cents, but i think i need a dime's worth!

what do you call power treats? i was told to mix the harrison's gradually. but he would never even try it. i would love to get him on that diet. please help.

minnow

my CAG began picking for seemingly no reason at all. We went through all of the tests with an Avian Vet, but all of the bloodwork came back just fine. With feather plucking a thorough checkup is necessary to rule out illness. Afterward, I would suggest trying Bird-elicious (an all organic food). After only 3 weeks on the food, my CAG had fully transitioned and loved the food. For the first week, I didn't think she would ever eat it. Within 4 weeks, she had pin feathers all over her body, and now is fully feathered again.

You can find this food at birdelicious.com

I'm a true believer!!!