NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alfie update

Caz

Just to let you know that going on from some advice I came across while browsing around on here, I opened Alfie's cage door and left him. I sat at the other side of the room and he came out straightaway. He climbed on top of his cage and began frantic wing flapping. He also did a couple of poos lol. He then flew across to my cockatiel's cage and perched on top of it. If I stood up or appraoched him he would immediately go back inside his cage so I didn't push him any further.

Just want to know if all this is a good sign, and what I ought to be doing when he is out of his cage, if anything. Thanks again x

That sounds good! Are you able to give Alfie any treats by hand? Try sitting close to him and reading out loud, if you make eye contact do it briefly or out of the corner of your eye. Direct head on eye contact can be threatening for a prey animal. With time and patience you should be able to get closer and closer. Try playing with one of his toys in front of him. Curiosity may draw him closer. Good job!

• 1 month later...

Caz,

I just came across your post while i was reading answers to mine, so sorry to say, i''m not familiar with your story, but i take it that Alf isn't terribly hand-tame yet?

It sounds like you're on the right track though. Not pushing him, as you say, is the key. Let him come to you. Greys are very nosy, (at least mine is) and if you sit in his room with his cage open, and read a book, or have your lunch, chances are, he won't be able to resist coming over to you to investigate!

I wish you the best of luck with him - your patience will pay dividends.

Lyn and Alfie.

xx