NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing Cisco!

Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer and I finally got my first CAG. His name is Cisco. We have had him since he was 12 wks old, now 16 wks and he is quite the clown! We have not had a DNA test done so I am assuming that he is not a she. Our flock consists of a Quaker parrot, 2 German Shepards, and the cat!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Cisco has been a joy! AND what a personality! He is so cute to watch waddle across the floor....Everyone so far but Baby 'My Quaker of 6 yrs' is getting along. Everytime the two see each other they both look like feather balls! So I think it's gonna be a slow introduction with them!

Welcome Jennifer and Cisco!!

LOL - Your Quaker is 1) jealous and 2) protecting his flock from the new and unwelcome feathered intruder. It sounds like you have a handle on it and as you say, time, patience and safety is what it will take.

It's GreYt having you here and looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hello Jennifer and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Cisco.

Cisco sounds like quite a character at such a young age but then they all have their own little quirks, thats what makes them so endearing and special.

For lots of useful information do read thru the many threads and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Cisco besides the one in your avatar you would like to share with us we would love to see them.

Welcome Jennifer. How exciting to have your new Grey, I can relate with the situation of Bird introductions since I am working on that in my own home. I have a Timneh that I've had for 7yrs, and the Introductions to our new Congo have been slow going, and a work in progress. I realize they may never be real friendly. We also have had a little Green check Conure that has shared our home for 7yrs, and BOTH Greys are afriad of her. Our Conure is a little bird with a WHOLE lof ot ATTITUDE, and both greys tend to run towards the hills when she is out. I dont blame the greys because the Conure likes to go directly to their feet and bite at them. I've come to realize the conure will most likely never warm up to the Greys.

I have heard of jealousy issues but to turn into puffs! Neither growl nor snap at each other but I don’t want to take a chance….I do have a question for those that have the smaller ‘LOUD’ birds….I am not sure if it’s Cisco’s naturally ‘squawk’ or if he is picking up Baby’s loud unruly behavior. How do you keep yourself from getting earplugs? Is there anyway to discourage the two from having screaming matches? Cisco is also doing what we call jabber…his own form of English…almost sounds like he is trying to say ‘Hello” and ‘Whoa’ with a lot of I have no idea what…I do try to encourage that by praise and only say ‘What?’ when he gets loud by squawking….It seems to somewhat work with Baby but not every time.

Any suggestions?

Hi Jennifer, welcome to you and your family. The only thing you can do to discourage loud squawking is to ignore the behavior. If you make a big deal about it they like the attention and will continue to scream. Sometimes it can be difficult to ignore, so try leaving the room and come back later when they are being quiet and then give praise and attention.