NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can you help please,what do you think?

jennyb

I have a an african grey called Vera, my mum also has one called lucy, lucy isn't quite 1 yet. My mum has been taken in hospital and asked me to take lucy home to my house till she is well. I don't want Lucy to be left alone and would love her to come to stay but would this cause problems. Would both birds stop talking if they were introduced? and what would be the best way to introduce them? thanks for your help or suggestions. jennyx (By the way we are unsure what sex lucy and vera are)

Hi Jenny,

It isnt necessary to actually introduce them at all depending on how long Lucy will be staying. Both birds will have their own cages and you can give them separate out of cage time. I kept my 2 greys separate for the first few weeks and gradually let them out at the same time.

You will probably find that if they can hear each other from their cages they will talk more back and forth and may learn words from each other. I think having Lucy to visit could be a great experierence for you and for Vera.

I hope your mum gets better soon, sorry to hear she's not well.

Siobhan

Hello, Jenny!

I have 7 adopted parrots, so the issue of introducing is very familiar to me. Parrots are animals that should live in groups. I had one, that had lived for over 50 years in a cage with humans as only company. He couldn't speak any parrot language when he came to me. My other amazon taught him amazon sounds, and my CAG talked to him in human language. He didn't stop talking, though. He enjoyed talking like a human, because of the reactions of people. The TAG that I have now, also talked when he came to me, and he still talks, and whistles, and makes the most wonderful sounds. My new Yellow Crowned Amazon is also a talker, and a good one, too. And he doesn't stop talking either.

The CAG is the only parrot that also in the wild mimicks the sounds of other species. Pet parrots that are kept alone often learn human speech. Not all of them have that talent, and not all of them enjoy it in the same way. But I'm sure that, if they are already talking, that they won't stop because you introduce them.

I would only introduce parrots that are proved completely healthy. If they are free of diseases like PBFD, Chlamydia and Polyoma, you can introduce them. Make sure they have separate cages! In my living room the parrots are free, so if a newcomer is introduced to the group there is room enough to avoid each other. In your case, I would have separate cages and a play gym or climbing tree inbetween. I would give them both a treat at the same time, when they first meet. Don't force anything! You will notice, that there will be at least a 40 cm distance between the two, certainly in the beginning. Later on, they might come closer. It doesn't matter what sex they are, I know of two male greys that behaved like a couple!

If the parrots get along very well, maybe it's a good idea to have them together more often. For instance by taking Vera with you when you visit your mom! Here in Holland we have often parrot meetings, and when someone goes on a holiday, the parrots can stay with someone else. Of course we all have our parrots tested!

Good luck!