NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

WATERPROOFING FEATHERS--THE UROPYGIAL OIL GLAND

Dave007

Concerning glands that excrete powder for waterproofing feathers---

There is no gland on a bird that secrets powder. It isn't powder that waterproofs a bird's feathers. The powder which is called dander is material shed from the body of various birds and other animals, and is similar to dandruff. It may contain scales of dried skin and old feathers which are on the verge of being replaced.

The gland that waterproofs a parrot's feathers is called the uropygial gland. The uropygial gland is also known as the preen gland or oil gland. It's present in most species of bird, and it's relatively large in some aquatic species. In certain species of psittacines, this gland is not present. Hyacinth , Lear's and Spix's Macaws don't have this gland. All parrots in the genus Amazona also don't possess a uropygial gland. The gland is present in all other psittacine species.

This gland, when present, lies on the mid-line dorsally on the trunk in the rump area above the levator muscles of the pygostyle. There are no feathers normally on the skin over the gland. There is, however, a tuft of down feathers at the tip of the papilla in most species, and this is called the uropygial wick. In many species of bird, the tail usually flexes laterally each time the bird reaches around to contact the gland and the wick.

The gland secretion is spread over the feathers during the act of preening. Waterproofing is considered to be one function of the secretion, and another function is the suppression of the growth of organisms on the skin. The secretion helps keep the feathers, beak, and scales supple. The secretion from the uropygial gland contains vitamin D precursors that are also spread over the feathers by preening. With exposure to partial sunlight, the secretions are converted to an active form, vitamin D, which is ingested with subsequent preening.

The gland has a size and shape variation from species to species. For example, the uropygial gland is raised and somewhat heart-shaped in the African grey parrot, and in comparison to that of other species, such as the Eclectus parrot, it may appear enlarged by comparison. However, the uropygial gland is just a larger gland in the grey, which is a normal species variation. Another species with a prominent uropygial is the Moluccan cockatoo.

The most common abnormality of the uropygial gland occurs from vitamin A deficiency. Birds on poor diets are likely to be vitamin A deficient. Correction of the diet and perhaps an injection of parenteral vitamin A, will usually rectify the problem.

Infection may also occur in the uropygial gland. This may be secondary to hypovitaminosis A, immunosuppressive disease, such as that which occurs with Psittacine Beak and Feather Disease (PBFD), or trauma.

• 5 weeks later...

Dan,

When doing my new bird exam the vet said Miya's she thought Miya's gland was inlarged (but could just be it's normal size).And that it didn't look enfected,but seemed tender,so it may be blocked.Did fecal and blood panel,white cell count was up alittle arounf 1600,all other results are fine/normal.

At this time we didn't start anti-botic or check for beak & feather ( she said she only saw that about 10 times and by all APREANCES it didn't look like that could be the cause.

Since we aren't sure if the high count is due to the gland and a infestion just starting.Or vice versa.

The plan is to check her again in 3 weeks.If she isn't any better or counts is higher then put her one somerthing,work/fix the blockage if it is actualy blocked.

What is your take on this? What do you think we should do? Miya ia about 5 mouths old,TAG,on 1 feeding a day.I've had her with me a week,had to get her out of pet store,she is seems very active,eats well as far as I can tell ( i take her tomorrow for a weigh-in)I've been misting or showering daily,to get her to preen (vet said she may not been preeening correctly or enough)Last couple of days.Ive seen downy feathers,at first thought she was plucking.Could she be molting at this age?

p.s with the misting she does fine,showers SEEMS ok,doesn't try and fly off perch,but looked like she froze,then made noise at me when I took her off.

If that a sigh of fear??

Most problems with the uropygial gland are related to hypovitaminosis A and most respond well to medical therapy, including the application of moist heat, massage and appropriate therapeutics. If there's any tumors, abscesses, and ulcers the problem may require surgical intervention but only if the bird is at that point of where tumors, abscesses, and ulcers have already been seen. This gland produces secretions which are somewhat waxy and that gland can clog but it's not a very common problem because birds are constantly manipulating that area with their beaks pushing the thick substance out which they then apply to the external areas of their feathers. If there is a problem in that area, most of the time it has to do with an impaction which an avian vet can clear up easily. You vet does need to know what the general size of a grey's gland should be. They differ with different species. The other tests you had done have nothing to do with a possibly clogged oil gland. If your vet finds problems in the results of those tests you had done, they'll be dealt with separately.

"""vet said she may not been preeening correctly or enough"""

What caused the vet to say that? Greys and other parrots don't have a regular exact schedule for preening. They do it when it's necessary.

"""Could she be molting at this age?"""

At her age, she's still losing baby feathers which are being replaced by juvenile feathers which are more dense.

Thanks Dave,

"""vet said she may not been preeening correctly or enough"""

I'll have to ask,maybe she was inplying that she wasn't useing it enough to keep wax from getting hard/cloged..if thats possible.

When i took the note from vet,back to where I got her.they said most greys are larger and it felt a normal size to them,so we will see.The vet was more concerned that it was tender,and if my memory is correct,it wasn't waxy when she massage on the area.

As for the higher white count,of course purchase place said that is normal to happen during a stressful move,that it will clear up.

have you heard of a Bene-bac...it's for stressful times,should i use this???

Also was it 100% Aloe Juice you said to mist with for iching skin...do you use it straight or mix with water.

Bene-bac is a *good* bacteria strain. It has specific uses, none of which apply to your bird. It's basically used for birds and reptiles under adverse conditions such as showing, weaning, worming, surgery, traveling, boarding, breeding, antibiotic therapy or simple intestinal stress.

Save your money---

If you would like to give your bird *good* bacteria once in a while, simply go to the supermarket and purchase any flavor yogurt that available. Yogurt is also a *good* bacteria item that people constantly use and it's healthy for birds and can be used as a treat once in a while.

Yes, it was 100% Aloe Vera Juice (actually, it's 99% juice. The bottle says 100%)

You can use it 1/2 water -1/2 juice or you can use it full strength. Many people here use it in all different percentages.

The bottle on the left is Aloe vera Juice.

CopyofBothtypesofaloevera.jpg